British Golden Ale Miraculix Best - Classic English Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget the fags! The ones from the butcher! Never had one, but was giggling like a little girl when I read the sign the first time :D.
You're thinking of faggots, not fags. The culinary sense is never shortened.

Anyway, apologies to the HBT moderators as I'm sure this discussion is tripping all sorts of content alerts across the pond....

You're thinking of faggots, not fags. The culinary sense is never shortened.

Anyway, apologies to the HBT moderators as I'm sure this discussion is tripping all sorts of content alerts across the pond....
Exactly, sorry for my mispronunciation of these meaty delights. I clearly meant faggots. Somehow fags felt wrong, but faggots, now that you mention it, feels just about right..... :D

Boiling away!

PXL_20221219_195325349.jpg

Edit: Figured I'd add a video! Smells so good!

Last edited:
Hi there - this brew looks awesome! Eager to try it - for those of us doing extract brewing, do you have suggestions for how to replace with DME or LME? Thanks!

Hi there - this brew looks awesome! Eager to try it - for those of us doing extract brewing, do you have suggestions for how to replace with DME or LME? Thanks!
Hi!

I would probably just replace the base malt with extra light dme and skip the wheat. The crystal can be steeped. I would probably also increase the percentage of Lyle's golden sirup to 15% just to compensate for the usually lower fermentability of the extract. That should get you close to the original!

I've had good luck using 3:1 amber:wheat DME plus a 1/2 part invert. The amber probably has some crystal in it. Munton's provided a more full, British, malt flavor than that Briess.
That sounds like a pretty solid plan. I have just brewed my very first extract batch, never did that before. And I am honestly shocked at how good it is. I have just had the sample from the fermenter, uncarbed and as green as it can be but it was already drinkable in a good way. In two weeks, this will be a killer. However, it is more of a session apa, so different rules here. But if the amber is the same level as the extra light that I had here....

Only thing I did not like, was the cost. I think I pay about 5 Euros for the malt for one batch. This extract one was about 20 Euros.

Bottled today in primary for a little over three weeks. Sample tastes super good!!

Gravity finished 3 points high at 1.015 but that's my fault mashed a little hot at 156° ABV is sitting around 3.3%. Shooting for 1.9 volumes of CO2.

PXL_20230119_203020197.jpg

PXL_20230119_212552018.jpg

I ferment in a bucket, so I don't know for sure. But that looks exceptionally clear for looking through that much beer in the carboy.
Whirlfloc and time on this one.

If I want it really clear, I'll use whirlfloc at the end of the boil and throw in some isinglass a week before bottling.

Edit: The A09 Pub yeast I used has very high flocculation also.

Last edited:
Whirlfloc and time on this one.

If I want it really clear, I'll use whirlfloc at the end of the boil and throw in some isinglass a week before bottling.

Edit: The A09 Pub yeast I used has very high flocculation also.
You don't need any fining agent with this yeast. It is as clear as it can be after ten days in the fermenter.

I agree it flocked like crazy. I just threw in the whirlfloc for insurance. I do that on most of my brews these days.
Whirlflocc does not help with final beer clarity. It honestly makes no difference. It drops out proteins and fatty acid, which can be a good thing and it might clear the wort a little bit but for the final beer, no difference.

Whirlflocc does not help with final beer clarity. It honestly makes no difference. It drops out proteins and fatty acid, which can be a good thing and it might clear the wort a little bit but for the final beer, no difference.
I'll leave this one alone. I have a slightly different opinion based on some of my experiences but that's for another thread.

Great recipe! I'll be sure to post a pic when I pour my first pint.

I'll leave this one alone. I have a slightly different opinion based on some of my experiences but that's for another thread.

Great recipe! I'll be sure to post a pic when I pour my first pint.
Whirflocc and Irish moss help to get a better hot break and might also influence cold break formation. But the Stuff that sits in the breaks is not what makes beer unclear (let us ignore chill haze here). It is the yeast that makes beer unclear. If the yeast floccs well you have nice and clear beer. This depends on the strain and yeast heatlht plus water chemistry. Nothing to do with the stuff in the hot and cold break. There are many surplusses, why wirflocc and irish moss might be a good idea, but clear beer is none of them. Clear wort does not equal clear beer.

Here's the first pint (yes, a real British pint). The beer came out great and is crystal clear. I do have to confess though; I used chevallier for the base malt and it is super tasty!

Will be brewing this again!

PXL_20230203_031856829.MP.jpg

Here's the first pint (yes, a real British pint). The beer came out great and is crystal clear. I do have to confess though; I used chevallier for the base malt and it is super tasty!

Will be brewing this again!

View attachment 811710
Colour looks spot on!

Next time, try leaving out the crystal, if using chevallier for base malt and use just a dash of black malt or midnight wheat for colour.

Thanks, I'll definitely give that a shot next time I use chevallier.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how much flavor is in this beer it showcases loads of flavor.

Colour looks spot on!

Next time, try leaving out the crystal, if using chevallier for base malt and use just a dash of black malt or midnight wheat for colour.
@Miraculix where are you sourcing the chevallier in Germany?
Would like to try some.
I'm back in Ireland in April so might oder some from Get 'er Brewed but won't be able to bring much with my 10kg limit on luggage :rolleyes:
I see it's even more expensive than some crystal malts, about 3.50 € per kg :oops:
About 65€ for a 25kg sack, maybe worth ordering and brining back a few kg every time I go back home :p

Last edited:
One other thing I forgot to mention is my wife actually tried some of my pint. She doesn't drink beer but said that beer was really good and she would definitely drink one. This has only happened a couple times in my homebrewing hobby career!

I was like:

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

One other thing I forgot to mention is my wife actually tried some of my pint. She doesn't drink beer but said that beer was really good and she would definitely drink one. This has only happened a couple times in my homebrewing hobby career!

I was like:

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF
Now THAT'S what I call a compliment!

So I'm going to be brewing a single bbl batch of this grain bill as an experimental brew at a local pro brewery as a guest brewer.

They already do a pub ale thats similar, but they also do a pale ale made from a 30 year old sour dough starter for yeast.

The pale ale is very dry and fairly clean with just a teensy hint of funk. So it seems that it is probably just sacc cerv. As soon as I tried it, I told them they needed to do a pub ale with the yeast and put it on nitro. It tasted extremely similar to several pale ales I had in the UK that had brett in them.

I'll be tweaking their pub ale grain bill over to this and brewing it around the middle of this month and looking forward to it!

Colour looks spot on!

I'm planning out my grain buys for the Spring brewing season and debating whether to use chevallier in place of Maris Otter or Golden Promise in your AK recipe as well as an Irish Red and a London Pride. Curious as your opinion on strong and weak points for each in these brews.

Also, when looking at chevallier the data stated Diastatic Power at 60 degrees Lintner. Would that be his enough to self-convert a 100% grist?

I'm planning out my grain buys for the Spring brewing season and debating whether to use chevallier in place of Maris Otter or Golden Promise in your AK recipe as well as an Irish Red and a London Pride. Curious as your opinion on strong and weak points for each in these brews.

Also, when looking at chevallier the data stated Diastatic Power at 60 degrees Lintner. Would that be his enough to self-convert a 100% grist?
Considering the standard English pale ale back in the day was Chevalier and a bit of sugar or only Chevalier I would feel confident in its ability to self-convert.

So I'm going to be brewing a single bbl batch of this grain bill as an experimental brew at a local pro brewery as a guest brewer.

They already do a pub ale thats similar, but they also do a pale ale made from a 30 year old sour dough starter for yeast.

The pale ale is very dry and fairly clean with just a teensy hint of funk. So it seems that it is probably just sacc cerv. As soon as I tried it, I told them they needed to do a pub ale with the yeast and put it on nitro. It tasted extremely similar to several pale ales I had in the UK that had brett in them.

I'll be tweaking their pub ale grain bill over to this and brewing it around the middle of this month and looking forward to it!
How exciting! I love wild brews, I'd never have had the idea using this as a base. Please let me know how it goes! How long do they let their sour dough ale ferment? I tried this myself once and it was very unpredictable. Restarting fermentation after ten days and other fun like this.

For the ak, both should work well. Chevallier will leave a lot more flavour so I would probably prefer this. A chevallier smash would make a lovely and complex ak.

London pride-ish should also work well with chevallier. Irish red, I don't know. Irish red is clean and crystal is not present or very very subtle. So I think mo or GP would probably be better for a modern Irish red. I don't know if there are historic recipes of Irish reds, these would probably be more authentic with the chevallier.

Thanks, I'll definitely give that a shot next time I use chevallier.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by how much flavor is in this beer it showcases loads of flavor.
Is the recipe somewhere back in the thread? If not, could you re-post it? Looks awesome.

How exciting! I love wild brews, I'd never have had the idea using this as a base. Please let me know how it goes! How long do they let their sour dough ale ferment? I tried this myself once and it was very unpredictable. Restarting fermentation after ten days and other fun like this.
Theirs seems to be fairly consistent at just 2 weeks, and I was very surprised how clean it really turns out. You have to look pretty hard for any funky flavors to pick them out

Ok. Second batch made last night, in the bucket. Changed only the water to dial back the OG since first batch was a bit much (1.048-1.007, 4.75%ABV); also used 1/2 packet Verdant & Notty instead of 1 packet each this time.

Sadly, 12 hours later this morning when I checked, it wasn't ready to drink. ;)

Ok. Second batch made last night, in the bucket. Changed only the water to dial back the OG since first batch was a bit much (1.048-1.007, 4.75%ABV); also used 1/2 packet Verdant & Notty instead of 1 packet each this time.

How unfortunate!

I however seem to suffer the same, almost unbearable fate as you do.

I've been tweaking the recipe and am awaiting the delivery man to deposit the Crisp Chevallier on the doorstep. Now all I'll need is a good day free from outside distractions so I can get this thing brewed proper! Been waiting a long time to get this brew done.

I've been tweaking the recipe and am awaiting the delivery man to deposit the Crisp Chevallier on the doorstep. Now all I'll need is a good day free from outside distractions so I can get this thing brewed proper! Been waiting a long time to get this brew done.
Be prepared for extended aging times necessary. I've brewed this with Chevallier recently and this will need to age. My guess is two months or more.

Back