Mint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyCarHasAbs

Reaction score
Sorry to duplicate a thread but I wasn't going any responses in the other category so this might work. I've got a chocolate stout in fermentation now and a small container of vodka with mint leaves soaking. What I'm noticing is the leaves are turning a bit brown. In two weeks I'm adding the mint as what I'm assuming will then be extract via the vodka.

Will I hurt the wort by adding browned mint leaves or should I just add the vodka? Or just go to the store and purchase mint extract and add a few drops?

Either way will be fine. I have made tinctures before with coffee beans, wood, spices, herbs (not mint) but I add the actual ingredients to the secondary if I want to and sometimes I don't. As long as you are not planning a super prolonged secondary ferm then the leaves could go in.

Either way will be fine. I have made tinctures before with coffee beans, wood, spices, herbs (not mint) but I add the actual ingredients to the secondary if I want to and sometimes I don't. As long as you are not planning a super prolonged secondary ferm then the leaves could go in.

nah I was gonna add them in next weekend and bottle two weeks after. So to confirm, just dump the vodka and leaves in and call it a day?!

Yeah, I mean the leaves MAY cause a minor issue in your racking cane when you go to a bottle bucket but I always cold crash my beer before bottling and I have never had an issue with stuff getting stuck in the cane.

Yeah, I mean the leaves MAY cause a minor issue in your racking cane when you go to a bottle bucket but I always cold crash my beer before bottling and I have never had an issue with stuff getting stuck in the cane.

Ok,...yea I've heard the term cold crashing but I still don't know what it does. Does it force sh*t down to the bottom?

cold crashing is taking beer before it is bottled or kegged and bringing it down to a cold temp for an extended period. I have a temperature controlled fermentation chamber that I set to 35f and let the carboy sit in for 2-3 days before I bottle. The sole purpose is to settle out any "stuff"....hops, proteins, yeast, whatever...sinks to the bottom and allows for a clearer beer.

cold crashing is taking beer before it is bottled or kegged and bringing it down to a cold temp for an extended period. I have a temperature controlled fermentation chamber that I set to 35f and let the carboy sit in for 2-3 days before I bottle. The sole purpose is to settle out any "stuff"....hops, proteins, yeast, whatever...sinks to the bottom and allows for a clearer beer.

hmmmm, I might take a thermometer and see how cold my beer fridge is internally and set 'er in there a few days before hand.

thx

hmmmm, I might take a thermometer and see how cold my beer fridge is internally and set 'er in there a few days before hand.

thx

No problem. SOmetimes I don't bother cold crashing stouts though, just because when its black the clarity doesn't matter to me.

BTW...what are you calling this beer? A local brewery had one on tap and called it Girl Stout Cookie

BTW...what are you calling this beer? A local brewery had one on tap and called it Girl Stout Cookie

FINALLY, someone asks this question. Every experimental batch I do with funky flavors I attach a rock or metal band theme to it.

Mintallica Irish Chocolate Stout: Bring This Brew Home to Molly

So yea either Mintallica or Drop Mint Murphy's. Haven't decided but I'm learning towards Mintallica.

Oh, I would hands down all day, every day go with dropkick over metalica

Interesting response! I've had mixed feedback. The issue is I don't know enough of Drop Kick's material to do any extensive labeling with it. I like to add something in addition to just the total of bring out what goes in it ya know.

The pumpkin ale I have now I can't decide on simply Smashing Pumpkin, or Pumpkin Head. Good names take time.

Back