Minneapolis Beer and Breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

microbusbrewery

Reaction score
I'll be in Minneapolis next week for work. I should have time one or two evenings to visit breweries, brew pubs, and/or beer bars. I'd like to visit Surly, but I'm open to other suggestions as well. Please chime in with your favorites.

Take a short trip to the Wisconsin border to grab some New Glarus. There are plenty of shops like right over the order that are fully stocked to supply Minnesotans.

Surly of course. It and Town Hall are in the Green Line

There is a cluster of breweries in Northeast Minneapolis all within easy walking distance. 612, Bauhaus, indeed, Able Brewhouse, sociable cider works. About a mile north is Fair State, about a mile west is Dangerous Man, another mile west is Boom Island.

All easy to get to on transit.

Surly is very good, much bigger than I thought, and pretty good food, too.
Dangerous Man is pretty good, like a corner neighborhood pub, if I lived in Minny it would be my hangout.
There is another brewery in Minnesota that I sampled recently, LiftBridge, that is east of the twin cities near the border on Wisc, so not that far. I had one of their DIPAs and thought it was excellent.

Surly is a must go. As mentioned before, there are a ton in northeast Minneapolis, all pretty good. Fulton in downtown is good.
Steel toe in St Louis Park is very good.

Indeed, Bauhaus, 612 Brew, Able Seed House, and Sociable Cider Werks are all within easy walking distance from eachother. You could get to Dangerous Man on foot as well, but an Uber might be the better option there. Enjoy your stay!

Lots of options, many have mentioned Fair State and it's a great option. I would recommend it and Sissyphus, Insight, and Able for some "less packed" options, especially if you're going on weekends. Some "more packed" breweries that live up to the hype are Dangerous Man, Indeed, and Surly. Just be prepared for crowds.

Really you can't go wrong. Only ones I'd say to avoid are Herkimer and East Lake. Definitely DON'T waste your time driving to WI for New Glarus.

I forgot about Fulton. In Bound and Modist are both a few blocks from there and Free House Brew Pub a few blocks further. All right downtown.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Excelsior Brewing. It's about 20 miles west of MPLS but worth the trip. Say hi to John Klick and Niles.

Sisyphus is pretty darned good. They are just south of downtown.

If you're on the east side of Mpls/StPaul, I second the Lift Bridge recommendation. And if you're there, you're not far from Maple Island.

Back