Minimizing chill haze

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddicker60

Reaction score
When I get ready to keg the beer, it is great. As soon as it's carbonated, super hazy until the last gallon- now I make really hoppy beers and I know that lends to it, but I am sure it's chill haze. What techniques help minimize it?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Rapid chilling after a full boil, minimizing the amount of trub transferred to the fermenter, cold filtration after fermentation, cold conditioning.

Recipe formulation is also a big part of it, higher protein content ingredients and a lot of hops will tend to give you more haze.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Even "no chill" beers, can be extremely clear.

I boil for 90 minutes.

Drain hot into a fermentor.

Pitch yeast 24 hours later.

Leave all of the trub/yeast behind in the fermentor.

Cold crash for a couple weeks.

Serve, it is clear.

That works for me!

Individual results may vary.

Polyclar does an amazing job of reducing chill haze, I think I'm on the only person on this entire forum that's ever used it though.

A teaspoon or so of dried Irish moss added for the last 20 or so minutes of your boil is probably the easiest, cheapest, least chemical-y way of addressing chill haze. It's not technically moss, actually (it's a kind of algae) but it helps wort proteins form into larger chunks, which makes them easier to filter out.

Just brewed a Pilsner. Did a 90 minute boil and added super moss at 15 minutes left in the boil. Chilled as fast as possible then let it sit for 30 minutes before transferring. Waiting allows a lot of stuff to settle and you'll be amazed what you don't transfer. After that I let it sit for a night and settle out even more before transferring to a second bucket before pitching yeast. I could have pitched in the first bucket but I wanted to get the cleanest beer possible plus I might save this yeast or pitch on top of the cake.

Back