Minimal Guerrilla Technology Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Ok. Let's say that "Phil" has to suddenly move into a small apartment equipped with fridge, Keezer, washer, dryer, stove, central heat/air, etc.

TECH WISE

Phil HAS:

WIFI
Android smartphone
Wii

Phil MAY get:

Nice computer speakers
or
jam box w/mp3 player/aux input

Cable

NICE Laptop (NICE $600)
or
Crap laptop (wally special $250)

Internet ready Television
or
Crappy TV

(Anything suggested will be considered)

Phil wants to stream Netflix, be able to email and FB other than on the smartphone, maybe hulu. Wants to listen to pandora etc. through decent speakers. Cable is nice, but not crucial.

Funds will not allow nice tv and nice laptop in the same scenario. What would your priority be?

Get Nice computer speakers. Cheaper tv, Use Wii for Netflix and Hulu. Nice laptop. That's what i would do. $250 is going to get you a really bad laptop, you can get something decent for $450-$500. A decent 1080P Tv is pretty cheap these days, use the Wii for internet content. It won't be in HD but it worked great for me for a long time until the SWMBO got me an internet connected Blue Ray player for Christmas.

Oh, and if you don't want to pay for cable, get a set of rabbit ears to pick up local hd channels if you can get reception in your area. That'll take care of local sports, news etc.

I'd get a PS3 or a 360 over the Wii. Can still stream netflix/hulu etc but it's in HD.

Also personally my PS3 gets 10x the use my Wii did.

Everything else Moose mentioned sounds right!

I'd get a PS3 or a 360 over the Wii. Can still stream netflix/hulu etc but it's in HD.

Also personally my PS3 gets 10x the use my Wii did.

Everything else Moose mentioned sounds right!

Yeah, I just said to use the Wii because he already has one. The PS3 would be nice cause you could play BlueRay on it as well.

moose7710 said:
Yeah, I just said to use the Wii because he already has one. The PS3 would be nice cause you could play BlueRay on it as well.

Oh missed that, woops!

Spider will remain behind ghost rider.

I knew that the wii would get a little grief....game selection is lacking, but it is a better platform. I will stick with it.

I have a Core2Duo laptop I want to get rid of. Not pretty and not light, but it's a desktop replacement. Also most likely needs a new battery but whatevs.

Linkage

cheezydemon3 said:
Spider will remain behind ghost rider.

I knew that the wii would get a little grief....game selection is lacking, but it is a better platform. I will stick with it.

No grief. Had one for a while but I realized I was only playing games every 4-5 months when a new first party title came out. Decided to trade it in for money towards a Vita. Happy with the decision but I did love the Wii.

Get a laptop with HDMI out, a decent TV, cheaper surround sound, and an indoor antenna for local off-air HD channels. Forget cable.

Get a decent TV. Does not have to be internet ready since your wii can connect. Get the wii keyboard and then it sounds like you wouldn't even need the laptop to do normal internet stuff. Even word processing can be done online through openoffice or googledocs. You can get netflix, pandora and hulu on the wii. Get a decent home audio system and connect the wii and/or TV through the audio system. These easily run around $100-150.

If you have money remaining and still want cable, get cable.

With march madness upon us it is hard to imagine no cable. That and the walking dead.

But....when all is said and done. Reruns of the dead are fine, and there are ways of watching games without going to bars.

Hmmm....wii as aword processor? I have to think that it would be a PITA, but possibly worth it.

Back