Minimal chill brewing is my new best friend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcorn

Reaction score
So I just figured I would share my technique that I have become so fond of doing for the past 5 months or so (thanks to this site). I hated wasting so much water during my wort chilling. The immersion chiller that I still have is the same one I bought with my first kit 5 years ago (25Ft copper) and was great when I did 5 gallon partial boils. Now I am onto full biab 12 gallon boils so things have become a little more challenging.
Whenever my boil is finished I stick my chiller into the kettle and cool my 10 gallon batch down to under 130 degrees very quickly (dms production stops after 130 degrees). Once I have reached this temperature I split my ten gallon batch into (2) 5.25 gallon batches in (2) 7.9 gallon fermenting buckets which do not leach any plastic taste or anything due to the fact that food grade plastic can handle these types of temperature just fine. I would not recommend this in glass though. The next day I pitch my yeast and my buckets have cooled to the ambient temperature. I typically use dry yeast but this form of chilling does make it able for me to steal my wort to make a one day starter with for liquid yeast.
I absolutely love this method of chilling and I invite anyone else to try it out! It makes my brew days so much easier and clean up so much quicker. The kettle is even so much easier to clean out afterwards due to the fact that it is still hot.

The beers I have made have also not had any chill haze either. I figured they would which didnt bother me but none have so far. I have done about 60 gallons this way.

I'm using a similar method except I don't have a chiller. I'm doing 3-4 gallon batches on my stove top. After the boil and whirlpool, (I just stir it) I take the pot outside and put it in a washtub with 60 degree well water. I add some frozen 2 liter bottles, I haven't been tracking how long it takes to get to 130.
I take some wort and cool it in a saucepan in the sink for an overnight starter and pitch in the AM. Its been working out pretty good so far.:mug:

I'm using a similar method except I don't have a chiller. I'm doing 3-4 gallon batches on my stove top. After the boil and whirlpool, (I just stir it) I take the pot outside and put it in a washtub with 60 degree well water. I add some frozen 2 liter bottles, I haven't been tracking how long it takes to get to 130.
I take some wort and cool it in a saucepan in the sink for an overnight starter and pitch in the AM. Its been working out pretty good so far.:mug:

I would think you should be able to chill under 130 in 10 or 20 mins. with only 4 gallons. You should be good to go! If not you can always make some good cooked corn flavored homebrew!

I don't chill at all, I hot pack the wort into hdpe vessels, and let it cool off over 24 hours or so.

No cooked corn, and that includes all pilsener brews.

I don't chill at all, I hot pack the wort into hdpe vessels, and let it cool off over 24 hours or so.

No cooked corn, and that includes all pilsener brews.

How long have you done it that way? How long does it take to cool to room temperature inside that bucket? Im always so surprised to find that no one gets that dms flavor into their beers with no chill. I have made a dms beer before but it was due to a 15 minute boil for an all grain batch.

Yep, I squeeze a lot of the air out and seal over night. Although I like sour beer, so maybe I'll let it sit out next time

Just outlet the immersion chiller into a bucket or three and use it for your laundry machine. Or use it to water plants.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

It isn't a bucket, it is a different container. Check out the thread on no chill brewing. I'd attach a link but I'm on a smart phone and it is a lot of work. Google will find it though

Latest posts

Back