Mini Regulator as a Spunding Valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman2003

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I have on of these mini regulators that take 16 gram CO2 cartridges (as listed below) and was wondering if I hooked up an adapter, would I be able to use this as a spunding valve?

I was thinking I could run the gas port into where the CO2 cartridges thread in and it would regulate the flow out of the keg at a desired PSI.

Any thoughts? Thanks

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/0-30-PSI-Flare-Mount-Keg-Mini-Regulator-P4110.aspx

No I'm afraid they won't work. They are designed to control the pressure upstream (the serving keg) from the source (the CO2 cartridge). What you need is a back pressure regulator that controls the pressure of the source, the fermenter. A pressure release valve is a simple example and what most people use.

Might work.
The unknown is how much pressure is required for the regulator to release the pressure measured by the guage.
You’ll need a guage upstream of the regulator to monitor the pressure of the fermentation vessel.

VVbrewery posted while I was typing.
For clarification, I am calling the fermentation vessel “upstream” because it will flow CO2 “downstream” to the atmosphere.

I believe VVbrewery is 180* out from me in the use of terminology.

Thanks. I thought input pressure might play a role because the keg will only be outputting lower PSI where as a CO2 cartridge will have much higher pressure.

In theory the flow is correct but the implementation might not be enough for the regulator to come to life.

Back