Mini Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
Can anyone point me to directions where I can do a mini mash. I also have how to brew and complete joy.

are you looking for stove top mini mash without using a mash tun?

For winter brewing I do a stovetop mini mash using a big nylon grainbag and my boil kettle for a mash tun.

Mash at 150-155* with about 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain for 60min (all the grain goes in the giant nylon bag during the mash) Sparge in the boil kettle with 1 quart per pound of grain at about 170* for around 15 min. Then just continue brewing as if you are doing extract w/ steeping grains

c.n.budz said:
are you looking for stove top mini mash without using a mash tun?

For winter brewing I do a stovetop mini mash using a big nylon grainbag and my boil kettle for a mash tun.

Mash at 150-155* with about 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain for 60min (all the grain goes in the giant nylon bag during the mash) Sparge in the boil kettle with 1 quart per pound of grain at about 170* for around 15 min. Then just continue brewing as if you are doing extract w/ steeping grains

No mash tun, I have the equipment for extract. I do full boils on a turkey fryer and have a 9 gallon pot. I want to eventually go to AG but want to get my feet wet with a mini mash.

I dont really know what sparge and all that means yet. Also, how does everyone keep there stove at such precise temperatures?

You're welcome.

Basic brewing radio has some podcasts on it as well. Basicbrewing.com

September 14, 2006 - Making Ciders & Countertop Mashing
Ben Watson, author of Cider, Hard and Sweet: History, Traditions, and Making Your Own, joins us to introduce us to the world of homemade ciders. Also, Chris Colby of Brew Your Own magazine lets us in on his method of partial mashing using an unmodified two-gallon drinking cooler.
http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr09-14-06.mp3

October 4, 2007 - Countertop Partial Mashing Revisited
Chris Colby of Brew Your Own magazine gives us an update on what he's learned about doing partial mashes with a countertop cooler.
http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr10-04-07partialmash2.mp3

If you are serious about going to all-grain in the future it would probably be worth buying a cooler and doing the conversion to a mash tun to keep the temps right. I've done the stove-top method myself and it can be a hassle.

paranode said:
If you are serious about going to all-grain in the future it would probably be worth buying a cooler and doing the conversion to a mash tun to keep the temps right. I've done the stove-top method myself and it can be a hassle.

I will definitely be doing that in the future. I would just like to start with a mini mash. I guess if you put the kettle in the oven the the temp is easy to control.

Back