Mini Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
Hello,

Anyone use one of the mini kegs, usually aroung 128-135 oz's. Curious how well they work at carbonating and maintaining the beer ? Any recommendations on specific type/model ? How long does it usually take ? Believe they use 16-20 gm CO2 cartridges. Thanks for any info.

I used them for a while in between bottling and 5 gal kegs. They were a big time saver over filling bottles and I didn't need room for a corny keg in the refrigerator. They are also much easier to bring to a party. They prime, carbonate, and hold pressure just like a bottle and take about 10-14 days to carbonate. Never noticed a loss of carbonation while dispensing over a week or two. They are a bit of a pain to clean, but you only need 4 for a 5 gal batch, so still a time saver over 50 bottles. Just make sure you get the newer stainless kegs. The older ones were coated steel, and they would begin to rust after a few uses, because the swell would split the coating. Old ones only lasted for 5-6 fills.

In hindsight (currently building an 8 keg keezer to upgrade from 2 tap kegerator) I should have skipped these mini kegs and gone right to a corny set up. However, if you don't see a corny set up in the future, go for it, I thought they were an improvement over bottles.

I have and still use a handful of Kegland mini kegs. Preliminary usage was for small batches, overflow, etc., as I started out with only a 1.75G corny. Now I use them for growler fills or exchanging between friends. Ball lock lids make them pretty versatile too for day trips, and keeping those growler fills pressurized and fresh.

Latest posts

Back