Mini Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
Hello,

Anyone use one of the mini kegs, usually aroung 128-135 oz's. Curious how well they work at carbonating and maintaining the beer ? Any recommendations on specific type/model ? How long does it usually take ? Believe they use 16-20 gm CO2 cartridges. Thanks for any info.

I used them for a while in between bottling and 5 gal kegs. They were a big time saver over filling bottles and I didn't need room for a corny keg in the refrigerator. They are also much easier to bring to a party. They prime, carbonate, and hold pressure just like a bottle and take about 10-14 days to carbonate. Never noticed a loss of carbonation while dispensing over a week or two. They are a bit of a pain to clean, but you only need 4 for a 5 gal batch, so still a time saver over 50 bottles. Just make sure you get the newer stainless kegs. The older ones were coated steel, and they would begin to rust after a few uses, because the swell would split the coating. Old ones only lasted for 5-6 fills.

In hindsight (currently building an 8 keg keezer to upgrade from 2 tap kegerator) I should have skipped these mini kegs and gone right to a corny set up. However, if you don't see a corny set up in the future, go for it, I thought they were an improvement over bottles.

I have and still use a handful of Kegland mini kegs. Preliminary usage was for small batches, overflow, etc., as I started out with only a 1.75G corny. Now I use them for growler fills or exchanging between friends. Ball lock lids make them pretty versatile too for day trips, and keeping those growler fills pressurized and fresh.

Back