Mini kegerator (will this work?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepaholic

Reaction score
I am still very new to home brewing and am already disliking bottling. I would like to set up a large kegerator but in my apartment there just isn't room. Plus money is tight. I found a local place with the Beertender for the Heineken Draught Keg that I can get them everyday for $50.00. I also found mini kegs on Midwest's site that look like they would work in it but I cant find anything that tells me one way or the other. No I dont think that this will replace all bottleing, I would only do like 1 or 2 kegs per batch.

Has anybody tried this? It looks like a fun way to get into keging. Here is links to the products I'm talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044WWC7O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/mini-keg.html

Thanks,
Marcus

Last edited by a moderator:
For that price you can find a used co2 tank with regulator and a corny keg to get you started. I converted a 4.4 cu ft fridge for 25 bucks. Start with picnic taps and add a tower when you have the cash. Then you can keg an entire batch.

Cheers

For that price you can find a used co2 tank with regulator and a corny keg to get you started. I converted a 4.4 cu ft fridge for 25 bucks. Start with picnic taps and add a tower when you have the cash. Then you can keg an entire batch.

Cheers

Thanks for the input. But I will be buying the dispenser for $50. Add 2 kegs and we are talking about less than $100 for the whole setup. Plus I always want to bottle part of the batch so I can take it with me.

Anybody else know if this will work?

Marcus

My advice (take it or leave it)

Save up your money for a small used fridge and a corny.

In the mean time you can bottle in 2 liter soda bottles to cut back on your bottling time.

Doesn't look to me that the 'beertender' and those 'mini-kegs' are actually compatible. The beertender is designed specifically around those heinie kegs. While those German mini-kegs have their own system that's sold separately by Midwest. That system itself looks potentially interesting., but you need the special tap it comes with.

One of the major benefits of kegging over bottling is how easy a 5 gallon keg is to clean. Mini kegs are just big bottles. You still have to clean them, and they're tough to clean.

Corny kegs are tough, You only need to occasionally change the o-rings. Mini-kegs aren't nearly as strong and you need to get new bungs more often.

Force carbing is easy with corny kegs. Mini kegs still require carbing with sugar, and there's lots of threads on this site about deformed, leaky, or exploding mini kegs.

You can get CO2 tanks easily at a welding supply shop and swap them out, just like a propane tank. Mini kegs use a proprietary CO2 system.

You don't have to go big and build a giant, 5 tap keezer. A small fridge, a used corny keg off craigslist, and a conversion kit from online and you'll be golden.

You may be able to find a Free fridge off craigs list. I have one and 3 chest freezers. All I had to do is pick them up. Know any one with a pick up. BTW after moving a freezer/fride. Leave in place 24 hours before adding power just in case you drained the oil when moving. (it will drain back to where it belongs).

Latest posts

Back