Mini-Fridge Dimension issues - Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterGoat

Reaction score
New to the forum - novice to lagers...

Here goes... i've got a mini-fridge, however, the freezer compartment takes up too much room to put in a 5 gallon carboy for lagering. i can fit a 5 gallon plastic bucket, but have heard that it is a bad idea to lager in plastic.

Thought i have about modification. Is it possible, or even feasible, to unfasten the cooling coils (freezer box) from the top and reattach it to the rear of the fridge (being that is a "U" shape - it would then allow for a 5 gallon carboy)?

The other thought i've had is to gently bend the cooler box sides down and reattach to the top, giving enough room for the carboy while not altering the resting position of the coils.

Ideas, thoughts, comments?

Thanks for the help!

MasterGoat said:
Is it possible, or even feasible, to unfasten the cooling coils (freezer box) from the top and reattach it to the rear of the fridge (being that is a "U" shape - it would then allow for a 5 gallon carboy)?

That's exactly what I did. The one I have just had the freezer section clipped onto the top, so I unclipped it and bent it down so it's along the back just hanging there.

I did the same thing, Its important to bend it back slowly and just do it once.I got it right once , but I had one fridge that I did not feel I had the cooling coils in the right spot, so I tried to re-position it, and I crimped the line...and ruined the fridge.

I guess I'm batting .500

i've got a mini-fridge, however, the freezer compartment takes up too much room to put in a 5 gallon carboy for lagering. i can fit a 5 gallon plastic bucket, but have heard that it is a bad idea to lager in plastic.

Originally posted by MasterGoat

What make and model fridge do you have?

Back