Milwaukee area beer related events over the Fourth of July - help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrewer

Reaction score
I am coming back to my hometown of Milwaukee/Waukesha, Wisconsin over the long Fourth of July weekend (6/30 to 7/7) to visit friends and family. I have not been back in several years and was planning on hitting a few brewery tours and maybe checking out some local homebrew shops.

Tours:

Lakefront Brewery
Sprecher
New Glarus Brewery

Can some of you Wisconsin folks chime in with some other good spots to hit? Other than Summerfest (which I am very familiar with and will probably be there a few nights already)......are there any other brew related festivals or events going on in the region?

I would be happy to help a bit if I can. I am a bit north of there and am wondering how far you are willing to travel in Wisconsin if any at all, time/miles would be great info to have.

Thanks Zamial. I do have a bunch of family and friend activities planned down at the lakefront, fireworks and such around town, and of course I need my Ponza Rotta fix from Jimmy's Grotto. I probably wouldn't drive much more than an hour away from the Waukesha area. Madison might be okay, New Glarus is south of there, and while pretty far I have heard it is a nice brewery.

Even if you don't care for the beer, its still kind of cool to do the Miller tour. Also, just so you know, New Glarus isn't exactly in the neighborhood. Its about 2 hours west of Milwaukee.

You might want to hit up the Sugar Maple in Bayview (Just south of MKE). They have a really extensive tap line.

They don't brew their own beer (that I know of). Just a good place if you like to drink beer.

I also wanted to add, just about every Grocery store/large liquor store will sell all of these beers. (nice to take home)

There is also Point and Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company (aka Leinie's) I only mention these as they are Wisconsin breweries that are worth a try while here.

I also wanted to add, just about every Grocery store/large liquor store will sell all of these beers. (nice to take home)

Yeah, I used to work for the local Miller distributor when I lived there and sell to a lot of the southeast Wisconsin stores. Loved Discount Liquor and New Berlin Liquor. Carried everything.

Any good homebrew shops in town? I didn't become a homebrewer until I left and moved to Texas so I am not sure what is there.

Any good homebrew shops in town? I didn't become a homebrewer until I left and moved to Texas so I am not sure what is there.

Northern Brewer opened up shop here a few months ago off hwy 100 in west allis. Easily the best homebrew shop in the area

I don't nkow if you care about bars but Cafe hollander or the bomb shelter have nice beer selections

You could hit up ale asylum just east of Madison. Great little brewery.

Northern is now in Milwaukee (West Allis). Only HB place that's note worthy in the last few years.

I'll be at Sumerfest, the whole first day (annual thing with my wife and assorted friends) going on 17 years! Water Street & Lienie's for me ('till 1, after that it won't matter much).

I think you have it covered. I'd skip NG. For me, Spotted Cow ruined every beer they offer. I hate that stuff! But, to each their own.

I heard Lakefront does GREAT tours. BUT, make sure you're there EARLY!!!!! They seem to fill up fast!

EDIT:
I would do Cafe Hollander & Bomb Shelter too. Awesome bars :rockin:

If you do make the trip to New Glarus and have some time to kill you could swing up to Mt. Horeb and go to the Grumpy Troll. I've only been there once but it was a nice little brewpub, not a full on brewery or anything like that I don't think. If I remember correctly, Mt Horeb is about 15 miles NW of New Glarus.

As far as fish fry, I like Cliford's on Forrest Home near Hwy 100. All you can eat, looks like you're in someone's basement (Milwaukee thing) and it's good. Typical beers though. But I can stomach that for the fish fry!

You could try Sprecher too.....

If you don't want to go all the way to Madison, or want to stop along the way check out Tyranena in Lake Mills. They have great beer and during the summer on Friday and Saturday nights there is live music outdoors. Check them out at...
http://www.tyranena.com/

I think you have it covered. I'd skip NG. For me, Spotted Cow ruined every beer they offer. I hate that stuff! But, to each their own.

I don't know about that. I don't think Spotted Cow is an inspired beer or anything (although, it doesn't offend me) but NG does quite a bit that is great. Just recently, they released Moon Man, a sessionable Pale ale that is delicious. They also just released Enigma - a sour mashed beer - wild yeast with cherries, aged in oak. Really interesting stuff. They may pay the bills with Spotted Cow, but that doesn't mean they aren't doing anything interesting.

Edit to add: Lakefront also does fish fry on Fridays. Some love it. I think its just ok. However, if you're there for the tour, might make scheduling easy. Also, they have live polka and a great beer-hall atmosphere so it kinda makes up for it.

Just because I love this place, I'll mention it again. Cafe Hollander does all you can eat fish fry on friday which is pretty decent. I'd still go even if it was terrible though because of the beer.

I'll second that Lake front has a fish fry as well. Have not had it though.

hoffbrauhaus is pretty fun on fridays and have fish fry, band at night, and nails

Latest posts

Back