Millstream Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Born Brewing Co.

Reaction score
We (wife and kids) toured Millstream Brewery yesterday. Millstream brewery is in Amana Iowa, and is Iowa's oldest brewery. It is a small operation, but man do they make great beer. I believe they only distribute to stores in Iowa so I always have my in-laws bring some to Illinois for me. In anycase, if your in Iowa or want to take a day trip check it out...
http://www.millstreambrewing.com/

kewl i believe i have some of their labels in my collection.

i love touring breweries. recently i got to tour the bahamian brewery partially owned by heiniken. they make kalik beer.

and everytime i go load up on recipe stock - i get a tour of the Thomas Creek Brewery here about 10 minutes away from me. http://www.thomascreekbeer.com william (the guy who looks like santa claus) and his son run the brewery make some fantastic beer.

Brewhead, I have been looking for a good cream ale AG recipe. I noticed
you had one in your sig. Do you mind sharing it?

i am limited to extract and partial mash recipes. (hangs head in shame)
soon i will be ag

the recipe i have been using is:

1 lbs. English Chocolate Malt
1 lbs. Crystal Malt 60°L
.75 lbs. Roasted Barley
4.5 lbs. Dry Amber Extract
1 lbs. Muntons Dry Wheat
1.5 oz. Fuggle Pellets boiled 60 min.
0.50 oz. East Kent Goldings Pellets boiled 15 min.
Yeast : White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout / WYeast 1338 European Ale also works well and is something you'll find in a typical say ..NB Cream ale kit.

it works and i happen to like it - may not suite your taste - feel free to adjust it as have i. it's certainly not my original creation i've just tweaked it here and there.

Hey, thanks Man. It looks like a bit too much chocolate malt for my tastes. I like that 1338 yeast and the hops but too rich for my tastes. Its 98F today!
May be the weather..If it were cold outside I might really consider it.

it's not a lite one for sure.

maybe something a little lighter something you could add to the base as you liked.

6 lbs. Alexanders Pale Liquid
1 oz. Mt. Hood boiled 60 min.
1 oz. Willamette boiled 1 min.
Yeast : WYeast 1338 European Ale

brewhead said:
i am limited to extract and partial mash recipes. (hangs head in shame)
soon i will be ag

Dude...DO NOT feel shamed because you don't brew AG. Everyone has thier reasons. I'm sure most reasons are space to do it, time constraints or financial.
There is NO shame in extract brewing. You still make better beer than multi-million dollar breweries!!! :D

Latest posts

Back