Milled Grain Weight Vs. Whole Grain Weight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkravitz13

Reaction score
It seems as if nearly everytime I weight out my grains at my local homebrew shop (which i do accurately!) and then measure the crushed grains afterwards, it always measures short. seems very trivial.

i guess my question simply is, does milled grain weigh less than whole grains?

i dont have a stash of grains or a mill at my place, so i cant go about investigating/answering this silly question myself.

*and yes, im fairly certain im not leaving any precious grain behind when transfering from the mill to the bag.... :eek:

*and yes! my scale is calibrated beautifully.

I'm going to estimate that a pound of milled grain weighs about as much as a pound of unmilled grain. These are just rough numbers, though.

i would certainly hope so!

by the way ong, thinking of moving out to portland this summer. i live in burlington, vermont. whats the brewing/beer culture like over there? i hear its fantastic

one or both of the scales is off. either that or the grain is wet and drying out, but in a plastic bag or sealed tub that should not happen.

There should be no change. A pound is a pound, regardless of how much it is crushed. Pulverize a brick and it'll weigh the same as it did when whole.

Either moisture is being lost, the scales aren't calibrated to each other (or reality), or you're losing lots of flour in the milling process.

mkravitz13 said:
i would certainly hope so!

by the way ong, thinking of moving out to portland this summer. i live in burlington, vermont. whats the brewing/beer culture like over there? i hear its fantastic

Yeah, it's a beer town for sure. Also a bike town! Sell your SUV and ride to one of the 6 LHBS within a five mile radius!

Back