Milk stout questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLAY_DEAD

Reaction score
So I'm brewing northern brewer's chocolate milk stout extract kit and the details are below:
White Labs liquid WLP041 Pacific Ave yeast
O. G. 1.060

Fermentation began about 8 hours after pitching the yeast. I'm wondering what the ideal temperature is to ferment this at? Also, what number do I read on my fermometor. There are a few different numbers highlighted in different colors. This is also the highest O. G. I've had for any beer I've brewed. Should I have concerns about needing to pitch more yeast to reach a good F. G.? Anyone's experience cell is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Optimum temperature: 65-68 F according to white labs

If the yeast was fresh (before best by date) you should be fine with one pack up to about 1.07

To read the stick on thermometer (which I think is what you're asking) the number in green is the temp. If there are two lit up in blue and tan, assume the temperature is in between.

Thanks! I'm around 68 or 69 right now. I only pitched one vial. My plan is to wait a couple weeks, take a gravity reading, then pitch a second vial if needed. Will that work? I've never had to pitch another vial mid-fermentation. If I do so, do you shake it again to aerate it? Another qurstuon: What's a good F. G. to shoot for with this recipe?

The number for when you should make a starter is debated. Often the limit is quoted at 1.060. Others state 1.040 I make a starter every time I use liquid yeast. I want to be sure I am pitching the proper cell count of very healthy yeast.

The vial will ferment most beers but if you start with low cell counts the yeast must reproduce first before they will start fermenting the beer. It is said that during this time is when off flavors from underpitching are created.

If you have a good active fermentation and Krausen, you are in good shape. With my stouts, I like at least 3 weeks in Primary and usually 4, be patient. My milks usually end up around 1.022 and after I keg, they sit for at least 3 months. Did you add the milk sugar? Good Luck

Fermentation was very active for the first couple of days (the Krause even entered the blow off tube a little on a 6 gallon carboy) . It has slowed down now, but I'm still seeing gasses being released thru the blow off. If I take a gravity reading in a couple of weeks and decide to pitch another vial, do I aerate again? Thanks for all of the input!

Remember - when serving make SURE you are serving to people that are NOT lactose intolerant. You will only have to learn that problem once.

If I take a gravity reading in a couple of weeks and decide to pitch another vial, do I aerate again? Thanks for all of the input!

No. You would be aerating beer and that is bad.

And honestly, since no one answered it before, you really should pitch all the yeast you are going to need at the beginning. The only reason to re-pitch is if you are stalled WELL above the planned FG and you OG was spot on.

You are most likely fine and if you underpitched the most common issue is not low attenuation, it is LONG lags and occasionally undesirable flavors. Those two dangers are over now so relax...

Thanks for the tips Onkel, Can you explain long lags to me please? This only my 4th. Brew.

Long time between pitching and "real" fermentation hits full steam. Basically, the yeast expends a lot of time and energy reproducing and less time and energy, at the start, converting sugars into alcohol and CO2.

I would not rely on a second yeast pitch unless you have a stuck fermentation. Depending on the yeast strain, the alcohol produced by the first pitch could overwhelm the second. Much better to use a couple of packs or better yet, make a yeast starter and build a stir plate. Also, I invested in an aeration kit and pump pure o2 into the wort just before pitching the yeast.

Beersmith has a good description of making a yeast starter and pitch rate. Generally, I just make a starter using 0.25 gallons of water and 0.25 lbs of DME and put on a stir plate for 72 hours before brewing. I also sprinkle in some yeast nutrient (LD Carson) and on the day of pitching sprinkle in some yeast energizer. Probably overkill but cheap insurance.

Since using o2 and a starter I get a very active fermentation (always need a blow off tube for the first 3-4 days). I like to brew strong ales and stouts and have had great results.

Back