Milk Stout- FG=1.033

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peroua15

Reaction score
Brewed a milk stout two weeks ago. Checked the Fg after two weeks and hydrometer read 1.033. The OG was 1.052. I have a couple questions regarding these numbers.

1) I accidentally mashed at about 160-162 degrees. I imagine that was too high and gave me too many unfermenatables. I should have mashed around 155-158 right? I used White Labs 001 liquid yeast with a starter.

2)I wrapped it in a blanket and placed it by a stable heater and swirled it a little to see if that helps. The wort did feel cool. My ambient temperature is 70 degrees. Yet I can tell the wort is too cold. What cheap easy methods do you guys use to keep the fermenter stable and warm?

3) Is this even unheard of if my FG is that high? If it truly is done with all possible sugar fermentation, would it be safe to bottle? Bottle Bombs?

Brewed a milk stout two weeks ago. Checked the Fg after two weeks and hydrometer read 1.033. The OG was 1.052. I have a couple questions regarding these numbers.

1) I accidentally mashed at about 160-162 degrees. I imagine that was too high and gave me too many unfermenatables. I should have mashed around 155-158 right?
160-162 is too high for this style, and typically too high for single infusion mashes. For a milk stout, I would use a mash temp somewhere between 148-156F.

2)I wrapped it in a blanket and placed it by a stable heater and swirled it a little to see if that helps. The wort did feel cool. My ambient temperature is 70 degrees. Yet I can tell the wort is too cold. What cheap easy methods do you guys use to keep the fermenter stable and warm?
If the ambient temp is 70 degrees, that's already pretty warm. Using a temperature controller with a ferm wrap, brew belt, heat map, or other heat source inside of a fermentation chamber, like a fridge or freezer, is ideal.

3) Is this even unheard of if my FG is that high? If it truly is done with all possible sugar fermentation, would it be safe to bottle? Bottle Bombs?
Not my in experience, although it depends on the percentage of lactose added. I have had a milk stout finish at about 1.030 and it was delicious. If there are no fermentable sugars remaining, the high FG will not cause bottle bombs.

Okay, so do any of you think this beer will turn out too sweet. I mean, it is not going to be that alcoholic and i'm just hoping to magically get it down below 1.030 by swirling and warming up.

71C is quite high for mash, but it's not that bad. I like my stout sweet, especially since it's a milk stout. It is gonna be sweet though.

As for the fermentation temp, 21 is reasonable if you don't have any cooling system. It will probably produce some fruity esters but again, I usually like those.

Finally, even if you mashed at 71C, 1.033 is a little bit high, what was your recipe? Did you put a lot of lactose in it?

71C is quite high for mash, but it's not that bad. I like my stout sweet, especially since it's a milk stout. It is gonna be sweet though.

As for the fermentation temp, 21 is reasonable if you don't have any cooling system. It will probably produce some fruity esters but again, I usually like those.

Finally, even if you mashed at 71C, 1.033 is a little bit high, what was your recipe? Did you put a lot of lactose in it?

It was a 2.5 gallon batch. I used 1/2 lb of lactose. Recipe was basically the same as the "Left Hand Milk Stout Clone" recipe on this home brew talk website. any tips from here on out to adjust this batch? It's just sitting by the heating vent after i swirled it a bit. Trying to keep it a little warmer and such.....

It was a 2.5 gallon batch. I used 1/2 lb of lactose. Recipe was basically the same as the "Left Hand Milk Stout Clone" recipe on this home brew talk website. any tips from here on out to adjust this batch? It's just sitting by the heating vent after i swirled it a bit. Trying to keep it a little warmer and such.....

If you mashed at 162, and the SG hasn't lowered in the last few days, it's done.

That's a very high mash temp. Combined with some crystal malts and the lactose, which also will raise the FG, I would expect that this beer is done and heating/swirling won't help and may risk oxidation.

Yep, as Yooper said, that's about it. It shouldn't be bad though. Just taste it when it's done and give us feedbacks!

I would add cacao nibs in secondary and call it Bosco. I'd also make a label with George Costanza on it.

Just an update, I bottled the other day so we will see how this one turns out in about a month or so

Latest posts

Back