Mildew stains on brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerAbs

Reaction score
I about to use a 5 gallon pot to boil some wort, I cleaned with soap, scrubbed it with steel wool and there still seems to be some mildew stains on the pot? What the hell? I'm currently in the process of boiling 4 gallons to see if scrubbing after that will help. Any ideas as to how to get them off and will my beer be contaminated if I still use the pot? Thanks guys
-Jim

Organics like mildew should be coming off with a good wash with hot water and soap. I would really recommend NOT using a steel wool to clean your pot. You're just going to scratch the crap out of it. I recommend purchasing some 5-Star PBW and allowing equipment to soak overnight in a hot water/PBW mix. It's carbonic acid (like Coca-Cola) and dissolves tough to remove organic materials.

In all honesty though - you're going to be boiling in that pot. Anything that could potentially ruin your beer - bacteria, mold, fungus, etc are going to be killed by the boiling wort.

Darwin18 said:
Organics like mildew should be coming off with a good wash with hot water and soap. I would really recommend NOT using a steel wool to clean your pot. You're just going to scratch the crap out of it. I recommend purchasing some 5-Star PBW and allowing equipment to soak overnight in a hot water/PBW mix. It's carbonic acid (like Coca-Cola) and dissolves tough to remove organic materials.

In all honesty though - you're going to be boiling in that pot. Anything that could potentially ruin your beer - bacteria, mold, fungus, etc are going to be killed by the boiling wort.

Thanks I really appreciate it. No harm done on the pot by the looks of it. I guess I'll just continue this boil of just water as the propane canister is almost empty, then soak it in some 5-star to be safe.

Back