Mild Ale vs. Irish Draught Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxsn0blindxx

Reaction score
Somehow I managed to lose track of which carboy contains Orfy's Mild Mannered Ale and which contains Northern Brewer's Irish Draught Ale and they both are of similar dark brown color. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the flavors of either one. Any idea on what flavor characteristics would set them apart from each other? I'm thinking whichever one has more hop flavor is probably the mild since the drauight ale has not aroma hops.

Irish Draught Ale Recipe
3.5LBs golden malt syrup
1LB golden light DME
1LB honey
1oz cluster 60 min

Looks like the Irish Draught Ale will have more of an alcohol bit. Mild might be a bit earthy.

The Irish ale will be more dry, the mild will be sweeter and you'll probably pick up on the caramel / chocolate flavor. Shouldn't the mild be quite a bit darker?

The mild should be darker (21 srm vs 16 srm for the nb kit). Beer looks a lot darker in the carboy than it does in a glass. Have you taken a sample of them yet?

Yeah, I'd probably bottle (or keg) and decide during the pour. Have a taste test. I agree with above comments. The mild should be darker given the recipe and the Irish drier. Not sure the hops flavor will come out too much in the mild. That mild recipe looks mighty tasty BTW!

Well you guys were right, when pulling hydrometer sample s for the FG the color difference became apparent and the Irish ale was drier while the mild had more alcohol and hops flavor. Thanks all!

Latest posts

Back