might switch to AG, check out my rig?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmorris1

Reaction score
So, I've been trying to figure out if I should switch to All grain, read through all of the Stovetop AG threads (awesome btw!).

So I had an equipment epiphany at work today when flipping throw Papazian's book regarding the Zapapap (sp?) and reading the threads on here....

I happen to have party cooler in my shed that I pull out in the summer for parties, but it is a stand up soft drink cooler type. It drains out via a hose and valve (already built in).... so I started thinkin.... if a five gallon pail might fit in it... sure enough it fits in fine... so I snapped some pictures...

If I drill out a bucket (no not the orange one) could I do my mash and sparge in this set up?

*edit* forgot to mention that I already have a turkey fryer ready to go....

3059519745_a13a372b49.jpg

3059519763_8a09e67f02.jpg

3059519773_c709ef2a1b.jpg

3059519781_c8e1d2ea8b.jpg

really?

Do you think this will work for a first time 5 gallon batch? I was just looking for some advice before buying anymore equipment...

Looks good, as long as the plastic/seals can handle the temps you need to work with it should do fine.

You have a big enough pot? You'll need 7.5 gal at least.

Only concern with an MLT that big would be keeping temps... I'd fill it with some very hot water right before doing your mash, so that the whole thing is warm. That much space could absorb a TON of heat and throw off your temps.

Thanks, I'm going to clean it all out and give it a "dry" run with hot water after cleaning, to make sure it can stand up to the temps. Worst case scenario, is I still have to wrap the bucket with some insulating foil wrap. We'll see how it goes, I just figured I'd check with the experts....

I would just spend the $35 bucks on a cooler and SS braid and you are golden. Look for Flyguy's thread on how to make it. I like DIY projects but I would go with a easier setup that you know will work. Just my 2 cents though.

I bought a $15 five gallon cooler at Walmart and purchased the cooler conversion kit from Northern Brewer online. All I needed was a small pair of channel locks and roll of teflon tape and less than five minutes later I was done. I think anybody could do this and be satisfied with the results.

Back