Might have acidentally used a Campden Tab, HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bathtub

Reaction score
Hi there....
Im new to the board. Been brewing about a year and a half off and on. Yesterday I brewed an extract pale ale. I found some unmarked tablets that I assumed were clarity (Worflock?). Its been a full day now and my fermentation hasnt started. Im starting to think That I may have accidentally used Campden tablets that I had saved from a recipe i made a year ago.

Anyway, a far as I know campden tablets are supposed to prevent the yeast from working. Did I ruin my beer? Will it be able to ferment??? Any help is appreciated.

Lots of people use campden tablets to neutralize chloramines in their water. At the rate you used it shouldn't really have any effect on the yeast, if they do at all. I was under the impression winemakers add them before they add yeast to sterilize their wine must and at a much higher rate like 1 or 2 tabs per gallon.

If you do not see fermentation starting after about 48 hours it means you put in campden tab. No worries these are neutralized after 24 hours anyway. Then just pitch a fresh pack of US-05. As long as everything was sealed and sanitized you will be fine.

Campden tablets are usually used at 1 per gallon, so one tablet for at least 5 gallons is already diluted. Then, it got boiled some. It's probably OK.
Even though wine yeast have been selected to grow in metabisulfite and beer yeast haven't, you're probably below the concentration needed to kill about any microbe.
Relax, etc. Plus, what jvlpdillon said.

Back