MIG Welding for Keggles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimconnors

Reaction score
Wanted to get some input from others that have more experience in the welding field. Simply put, is it possible to get sufficiently quality welds with an AC based wire feed MIG Welders?

I ask because I'd rather not use weldless.

It will work, but I highly recommend the use of flux (Solarflux or similar) or back gas purging the weld. Also, be sure to use stainless wire. 308 alloy is pretty versatile.

If none of that made sense, take it to a professional.

Wanted to get some input from others that have more experience in the welding field. Simply put, is it possible to get sufficiently quality welds with an AC based wire feed MIG Welders?

I ask because I'd rather not use weldless.

For one thing Mig is DC not AC.
If you have a brand new liner in your torch as well the rollers cleaned spotless plus a new tip and Argon gas with small diameter 308L or 316 SS wire you can Mig your kegs. Better yet is with a spoolgun like a 30A. You had better have your wire speed as well torch speed working together with you as you will be moving rather fast. It's all in your prep work like Tig on aluminum to get good results.
I have Tig and Mig machines but only Tig my kegs.

Miller 350 Synchrowave fully loaded 1991 350 not the newer less controls newer 350's.
Miller 251 Millermatic w/30A Spoolgun, twin bottle rack.

Sorry for going Off-Topic, but if you are not comfortable using your MIG welder, you could silver solder (Brazing) your fittings to your keggles. Just a suggestion if you don't feel comfortable with your MIG.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV0aLDxlvXk]YouTube - How to Solder Stainless Steel[/ame]

jimconners,
Simply put, is it possible to get sufficiently quality welds with an AC based wire feed MIG Welders?

Simply put, Yes. However since you ask this question, I'll go into a lot more detail. If your a Welder, skip it. If not, I'd read it.
I am sure by AC based mig, you meant a wire feed that plugs into a household type outlet. If it is a standard wire feed, you have to put a mig kit on it and that will include switching the polarity of the machine to make it DC as Brewbeemer suggests. If you haven't or don't weld stainless regularly, it is a BIOTCH. I did my own kegs and because I'm stubborn, I can't say I wouldn't do it again, but I danged sure wouldn't look forward to it. Don't forget, you have to have the supplies (bottle and gas $125 fo me, flux $25, wire $25). There are several threads about this subject, I would suggest reading. Read my comment on the first thread. It's about as non technical as you can get but I think most novices can understand it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/any-tips-welding-stainless-117600/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/adventures-welding-stainless-114738/

All things considered, I recently priced having some connections welded on my keg and it was basically $20 per weld. Depending on how nice your set up will be, that can easily add $60 to $80 to each keg. Also, having the supplies made me weld some other stainless "toys" Good Luck - Dwain

Thanks for all the input... yeah I am a novice welder - mostly hog traps and deer-stands where function > beauty and stainless was not involved.

I think I'll likely just get the 1 extra fitting welded on by someone the welding supply place I get my CO2 from recommends. Better to just have the 1 fitting done right :).

Plus I still have the whole stand to build, so I'll get plenty of time to play with my new welder just the same.

Thanks for all the input and expereinces :) def gives a guy the perspective needed to decide :).

Jim

Back