Midwest Supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i've had 4 visa debit cards from 2 separate accounts compromised this year and i have not bought anything from midwest supplies. i suspected that the breach might have been at my local home brew shop until my wife's card was compromised, she never shops there. when i banked with B of A i used their shop safe, single use credit card numbers but i moved over to a credit union that does not have that service. it seems to me that some people here are being fooled by randomness (in the words of Nassim Nicholas Taleb), some are even insisting on their right to be fooled! there is nothing wrong with that, but it won't keep your bank card information from being stolen from somewhere, sometime and used to by an xbox. until banks change away from the magnetic stripe card to an imbedded chip thieves will continue hoovering up numbers and turning any old magnetic striped card into "your" card, which is what happened in my case; the thieves went to rite aid and simply swiped the fake card at the counter, at two different stores.
i would bet threads such as this one exist on many other forums: hot rod forums, horse forums, beading forums, jet skis...what ever, and there is probably some unlucky vendor that 13 people have in common that makes them think it can't be a coincidence. what would really be surprising to me is if there were NOT 1 vendor in common. randomness very often does not look random at all.

Recently purchased from Midwest again. Had a fraudulent charge (rather small thankfully) from Payless shoes. I just seriously hope those heels fit....

Reading through this thread again, it seems a number of us who were hit were members of Credit Unions...

Yes, I was hit. Yes, I will continue to shop at Midwest because I have worked with their excellent customer service on a couple of occasions and they always go above and beyond.

I gave them my info to help them if there is a problem. I am not hunting anyone. I am a VERY happy Midwest customer and will continue to shop with them!

Yes this same thing has happened to me recently. My credit union debit card was compromised. The only place I use it on line is Midwest. I'll have to call them and let them know. When my credit union called me to tell me fraudulent charges were occurring the only place I could think that I used my debit card on line was Midwest. I have always had great service with Midwest, but now I am a little worried to use my card on line for anything.

It seems to me that there are millions of credit union members............

Reading through this thread again, it seems a number of us who were hit were members of Credit Unions...

Yes, I was hit. Yes, I will continue to shop at Midwest because I have worked with their excellent customer service on a couple of occasions and they always go above and beyond.

I gave them my info to help them if there is a problem. I am not hunting anyone. I am a VERY happy Midwest customer and will continue to shop with them!

There are very valid reasons to forgo debit cards in favor of credit transactions. Many protections that are present in credit card transactions are not (because the banks absolutely don't like them) on debit cards. If your debit card is ever compromised........you will know what the difference is. Buyer beware.

Yes this same thing has happened to me recently. My credit union debit card was compromised. The only place I use it on line is Midwest. I'll have to call them and let them know. When my credit union called me to tell me fraudulent charges were occurring the only place I could think that I used my debit card on line was Midwest. I have always had great service with Midwest, but now I am a little worried to use my card on line for anything.

unless your debit card is backed by a credit company. Then you can use it as a credit card online.

exactly. all of my compromised cards were visa debit cards and the first call i got was from visa fraud prevention services. (do straight up debit cards even exist anymore?) the money that was stolen from my account was replaced by the bank right away while they investigated, then became permanent after the investigation. i do have credit cards but use them only enough to keep them active and it's not clear to me that they are any more resistant to fraud than a debit card.

I wanted to update everyone on the thread with my credit card issue. I met with my bank credit theft department and we were 100% able to determine this was not caused by my transaction through Midwest. I will admit when I was on vacation and had my card shut off and viewed this thread it seemed very coincidental to me that my card was compromised in a similar fashion as to other posters.

I harbor no ill feeling towards Midwest. I have found a homebrew supply close by that I can use cash. If this is where my problem happened I hope they get it fixed.

Well,it's like I've been saying...use paypal whenever a site offers it. you have even more legal recourse using it. Over & above your card supplier. It's worked out better for me that way,having had my card ripped once already.
But not from midwest,but local stores. It's also a good idea to have a website from your bank to make it easy & quick to monitor transactions with your account. you get used to knowing what transactions are def yours & which are questionable.

well I just stumbled upon this post today. Add me to the list. I purchased the 4 pin-lock keg deal from midwest and on 7-9-13 I had 2 charges that weren't from me. One was for auto parts in Utah for $216 and the other was for baby stuff in NM for $246. I'm NOT saying Midwest is to blame. I'm simply adding my name to the list.

I saw something about all the cards being Visa. Is this true?
Just wondering cuz mine was.

I would like to hear a response from Midwest about the "saved card" issue though. Just curious how that works.

eastoak said:
exactly. all of my compromised cards were visa debit cards and the first call i got was from visa fraud prevention services. (do straight up debit cards even exist anymore?) the money that was stolen from my account was replaced by the bank right away while they investigated, then became permanent after the investigation. i do have credit cards but use them only enough to keep them active and it's not clear to me that they are any more resistant to fraud than a debit card.

Anything with a visa logo is backed by VISA's fraud protection policy, wether it be debit or credit.

I've placed two orders from MW in the past few weeks, and no fraudulent charges have shown up.

Littlejoe said:
I saw something about all the cards being Visa. Is this true?
Just wondering cuz mine was.

Used an Amex and had no problems, is this a visa only problem?

I would like to hear a response from Midwest about the "saved card" issue though. Just curious how that works.

Read the thread. They did respond. It's a token-based system. MW holds no card info beyond the last four digits of your number.

my mastercard was also compromised July 4th, though I can't pin point it to Midwest as it's my go to card for any online purchases. Weird it aligned with some other dates mentioned on this thread, Midwest did have it saved to my account as well.

Add myself to the list also.. Just checked my account and I have 10 unauthorized charges each for 7.95.

Doing a little digging it looks like somebody is using my card for Runescape. I've never had fraudulent charges before and they appear to have started on the 11th of this month.

Add myself to the list also.. Just checked my account and I have 10 unauthorized charges each for 7.95.

Doing a little digging it looks like somebody is using my card for Runescape. I've never had fraudulent charges before and they appear to have started on the 11th of this month.

What kind of loser still plays Runescape!??

What kind of loser still plays Runescape!??

No clue.. but I just got my issues with the charges resolved with the bank. also going for a separate account for just online purchases.

Now i just have to suffer a week until i get both new cards in the mail :(

I still find it very suspicious that several of us now have noticed these charges, has anybody affected been ordering from other suppliers other than midwest?

Myself within the past 2 months my online orders were from

Midwest
Amazon
Northern Brewer
Stainless Brewing
Keg connection
Beverage factory

Anybody affected also order from any of these suppliers within the past month or two?

Shouldn't it be easy to track that idiot down, since he'd have to have registered an account and would be logging in from an IP somewhere? I dunno, maybe I misunderstand this system of tubes.

I have ordered from Midwest several times; including within the past month. It is a debit card that I use locally as well as online. Maybe I have been lucky; but, no fraudulent charges. (I check daily.)

Yes I do use my card at a couple of other places that were not on the list referenced. However I will not expose my card activities outside where I have ordered brewing supplies. My bank is taking care of the fraud, and I have found another source that us local. If I have another breach I'll get with my bank and go from there. My son and I wanted to let people know we had a problem and see if we were the only ones. If your happy Great! Have a wonderful day and bottoms up!!!!!!!!

I didn't ask for a list. It just seems a bit more likely to me that some jerk waiter at a restaurant (or other jerk at another establishment) would steal your number (and security code) and pass it off to a friend.

I use my credit card for the business every day as well as personal spending both online and in person but it hasn't been compromised in years. The day I place a small order with Midwest is when someone runs up $6000 in charges at Sears, Publix, and a few other places in Florida and Maryland. Seriously, beware.

Confirmed. My wife purchased a keg kit from Midwest supply using a credit card she only uses with Amazon.com (it's an Amazon issued chase credit card). She's used it a total of three times with Amazon, Priceline and..... Midwest supply this past June. This morning, two charges showed up on that card for $1.00 and approx. $500 at a California Sears.

DO NOT order from Midwest until they get this mess straightened out.

Crazy!! just as I was reading through this thread the amex app on my iphone started hitting with charges for online software sales. I placed an order June 4 with Midwest and my CC info is on file with them. I've already cancelled the card so not too much damage done. My first charge that showed up was from "The Software King" for $349.98. Not even sure what that company is lol.

-Jason

Confirmed.

DO NOT order from Midwest until they get this mess straightened out.

Really? I just made another couple of CC orders from MW the other day, my 10th and 11th CC order there since February. I check my account regularly and have never had a fraudulent charge.

I still don't believe you've "confirmed" anything, except that your card info was compromised somehow.

JohnSand said:
I wonder if Paypal is safe? They do sell on ebay.

I used to work in paypal's fraud department while I finished college and yea actually they are quite secure. All of the fraud and stolen financials that were used on the site was actually due to people's stupidity off the site and also due to viruses on their computers. They treat their people like **** but they do what they say.

Shakybones said:
Really? I just made another couple of CC orders from MW the other day, my 10th and 11th CC order there since February. I check my account regularly and have never had a fraudulent charge.

I still don't believe you've "confirmed" anything, except that your card info was compromised somehow.

There is seriously too many of us for it to be a coincidence. Get your head out of the sand.

Marmike600 said:
There is seriously too many of us for it to be a coincidence. Get your head out of the sand.

It's actually extremely difficult to compromise an encrypted web server. So hard it actually takes a team if highly skilled hackers to do it. Based on what I've dealt with working in e-crime and the type of fraudulent charges you are seeing it is far more likely that you have a Trojan or a bit of malware on your pc. In fact unless you handle this stuff professionally its safe to say that about 95% of all non-Mac computers have a virus of some sort. These guys then use the info they collect to make purchases to "video game sites" or "Microsoft" services. Or sometimes they will buy from online retailers. These guys are smart so they don't go after servers or individual retail websites because that leaves a huge digital footprint. Verses a mass virus that get redistributed by every pc it infects therefore making it impossible to track.

I don't shop with Midwest. Just thought I'd throw it out there because I hate to see a retailer put on the chopping block when more than likely they are not in anyway responsible.

In fact unless you handle this stuff professionally its safe to say that about 95% of all non-Mac computers have a virus of some sort.

wikipedian_protester.png

Back