Midwest Supplies Recipe Kit Recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muskogeee

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I'm gonna be ordering a 5 gallon recipe kit from Midwest Supplies and I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations based on the kind of commercial beers I like which are, (please keep the laughter to a minimum):

Yeungling
Heineken
Estrella Damm (one of my favorites)
Newcastle
Guinness
Abita Turbodog (also a favorite)

I haven't really ventured too far out of the commercial beer realm as you can see.

I don't really like anything that's TOO bitter or TOO hoppy, I like something that's crisp and easy to drink with complex flavors that aren't too overpowering.

Thanks.

I got a midwest kit (the Autumn Amber Ale) and the kit seemed great. Unfortunately I think I had an infection that came up in mine later, so I can't say if it tasted like anything I hoped for.

Another place you might consider if you're looking to find clones is Austin Homebrewing Supply. I have not personally ordered from them yet but they seem to have a great reputation, and they're on my shortlist of places to order from next.

These are extract kits I would look at from Midwest:

Irish Red - 29.99 (easy one to begin with)
Hex Nut Brown Ale - 29.99 (same as above)
Irish Stout - 29.99 (some Guiness character)
Cologne Kolsch style 29.99 (My personal favorite light beer style, needs liquid Kolsch yeast with starter and cool fermentation temps)
Amarillo Pale Ale - 34.99 (you gotta start with some ligher hopped PA's, right?)

If you order today, "winterwarmer" code might still get you 10% off extract kits. May have already ended though.

You could use WL029 Kolsch yeast in the Cologne Kolsch kit, as it's sweet spot temp-wise is 65-69F. Gives lager-like balance with a bit of crispness on the back. Good, steady performer.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm not really looking for exact clones as I want to branch out and try different things. But at the same time I don't want to venture too far into unknown bitter territory. Some microbrew IPA's are just way too strong flavored for me for example.:beard:

Based on your commercial beer tastes, I'd go with either the Liberty Cream Ale or Cologne Kolsch*.

*This one is really good

Back