Midwest is a great vendor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injendsm

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right section, but it's something that need to be posted. As mentioned in a recent thread of mine, I ordered an intermediate kit and some other odds and ends from Midwest last week; one of those was the 32oz EZ Cap bottle they had on special when you buy a recipe kit. However, I misread it and thought that it was when you buy an equipment kit.

The box came today and when I opened it and looked at the packing slip, I saw a note informing me of my mistake. However, instead of refunding me the money and telling me why, they gave it to me at the price mentioned in the special. I realize this is something they didn't have to do and I'm grateful for it. I already sent them an e-mail thanking them but figured you all should know, though I'm sure you do, that they're a great vendor and one that should be thought of whenever making a homebrew purchase.

+1 on them being a great vendor. I have ordered various things from most of the major online vendors and still keep going back to Midwest. They usually have the better price, even with shipping, and are usually stocked with what I need.

+1+1

Midwest is great. I recently received a large order with a couple of those ez-cap liter bottles myself....and yes, I have found them to be the cheapest vendor for most basic brewing needs; grains are cheapest there. The only thing the other two major online stores have on Midwest is flat-rate shipping.....if Midwest did that too (hint Hint) I'd never look elsewhere again!

Yep, they are very good. I'm still pissed at them though for not granting HBT a group discount considering the amount of good reports we give them. I see that they advertise on the profile pages of this site, so it's not like they don't know about us. I wonder if it's because they feel assured of our business? Although I like them and use them i will continue to look elswhere until I can find an alternative. I'm totally one for cutting off my nose to spite my face. :cross:

I used to always start at NB's site, but end up pricing things out at Midwest for $5-10 cheaper. Now I don't even bother and go directly to them. What a great HBS!

The only problem I have with them and almost all online vendors is the un-willingness to ship small items USPS.I would order alot more stuff if the shipping weren't UPS with a minumum $8 shipping fee.Otherwise I love Midwest.

Yep, they are very good. I'm still pissed at them though for not granting HBT a group discount considering the amount of good reports we give them.
Gnome, you're not an individual member of AHA? That'll get you the Midwest discount. Heck, Midwest's 5% and the 20% off that I get at Iron Hill Brewery easily pay for my AHA membership.

I use Midwest almost exclusively. They have made mistakes a couple of times but were quick to fix them and they have the best prices to boot. One time I ordered more hops than was allowed back when they were limiting them and they sent them anyway and just reminded me that they were trying to conserve the short supply, great service.

Gnome, you're not an individual member of AHA? That'll get you the Midwest discount. Heck, Midwest's 5% and the 20% off that I get at Iron Hill Brewery easily pay for my AHA membership.

Wait, what? This is the first I have heard of this, how do I cash in?

Wait, what? This is the first I have heard of this, how do I cash in?
From Midwest:
Hello Herman,
For us to issue a 5% discount for AHA members, we need to have you fax
or email us a copy of your membership card to verify validity. You can
fax a copy of the card to: 1-952-925-9867 or email it to us at
[email protected]. We will keep the copy on file for future
orders (but still please remind us to apply a 5% discount in the special
instructions as you have here).
Cheers!
Pete
Midwest Supplies

Heck yeah! Add on the 10% discount from the shop that hosts F.O.A.M meetings, the Flying Barrel, and I've got it made. :D

The only problem I have with them and almost all online vendors is the un-willingness to ship small items USPS.I would order alot more stuff if the shipping weren't UPS with a minumum $8 shipping fee.Otherwise I love Midwest.

I needed a couple onces of hops that I was short, called them, and they sent it USPS for 2.95. And it only took a couple days to recieve. Normally USPS takes at least a week. And they ship FED-X which makes Saturday deliveries!

I needed a couple onces of hops that I was short, called them, and they sent it USPS for 2.95. And it only took a couple days to recieve. Normally USPS takes at least a week. And they ship FED-X which makes Saturday deliveries!
No $hit? Guess I have to start calling and asking if they'll do that.I just relied on what the website allowed for the shipping calculator.Thanks Dude!:)

I've place 3 orders from them so far and they are as good as any brick and mortar store could hope to be. They stood behind the products they sell even several weeks or months after the sale. This is not a common occurrence in online sales. I will be a customer for a very long time.

I just placed my first order with Midwest, and I received my package yesterday! Everything went perfect, and it only took about four days to get here. I also like the free magazine and dvd that they include with their orders. I'll definitely be passing the dvd on to a few friends that are interested in brewing.

I use them all the time but I hate their online order system. I constantly get the radio buttons wrong.

Last time it was not emailing the tracking number. Not a big deal

This time is was they crushed my grain. Ouch. :(

Of course I'll still order from them, they're always cheaper, but damn that web site blows.

Last time it was not emailing the tracking number. Not a big deal

This time is was they crushed my grain. Ouch. :(
I didn't get my tracking number last time either, but I called and they gave it to me.

I agree that their site is poorly designed, but I love their grain selection and prices. My only other complaint is that is always takes days for them to ship my order out, where every other online vendor seems to get it out next day. Not a huge deal because I always order at least a week ahead, but kind of strange.

But if they crushed my grain I would probably be calling them about it...that's a pretty big deal.

Back