Midwest Hops Growing (Newb)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaxford

Reaction score
I've decided to take a portion of my yard for hops. It's about 34-50 degrees where I am and in the summer it will easily get to be about 70-100 f.

Any Hops I should stay away from as a newb?

Also, when is the best time to start planting? I've heard everything from "when the ground is thawed" to "when temp is average over 60 f".

I would plant what you would like to use. I am in IA and cascade,wllamette,goldings,and sazz are all doing well. I plan to order some centennial as well. Here is a link to Freshops. Hop Gardening

Also, when growing your own hops, you want to grow Aroma and flavor hops. There is not enough consistency in the home grown level to accurately know IBUs. so use store bought for bittering and home grown for flavor/aroma.

Also, when growing your own hops, you want to grow Aroma and flavor hops. There is not enough consistency in the home grown level to accurately know IBUs. so use store bought for bittering and home grown for flavor/aroma.

Really? That's unfortunate. I was hoping to be hop independent. Bummer...

Really? That's unfortunate. I was hoping to be hop independent. Bummer...

Don't let them discourage you. It might be hard to nail the bitterness of you old standby recipes but unless you are entering your beer in a contest you have some wiggle room. Use them and then adjust from there. I use homegrown all the way through (although not for a contest beer where IBUs really matter).
-Ander

Latest posts

Back