Midwest Happy Holiday Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afreitag

Reaction score
I just ordered the Happy Holiday Ale from Midwest Supplies. If I get it brewed by the end of July would it be ready for the holidays?? Also how long do I keep it in the primary and secondary?? And how long to let them bottle before cracking one open.

I just finished brewing one on Friday. Using the wyeast. Fermentation has just slowed this morning. Will let it go until next Sunday and rack to a secondary for 10 days then bottle condition from there. I'm hoping it will be ready by the1st of December or so. Should be.

Just ordered this kit as well. I am considering adding an extra couple pounds of DME to the boil and oak cubes to the secondary and letting it sit for 4 weeks or so, just to make it a bit more "special."

As a new brewer, my thought process is that a stronger beer with notes of vanilla and oak would be great for the winter. But I'm worried that oaking a spiced beer might be overdoing it. To be clear, not planning on soaking the oak in bourbon, just want the oak flavor. Thoughts?

Back