Midwest BSB APA kit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunhaus

Reaction score
So my nephew and his blushing bride gave me a Beer Simply Beer kit for x-mas. Although I have not done an extract in quite a while I would never look a kind gesture and a free beer kit in the mouth. Plus, it became clear as x-mas eve rolled along that the duo were looking to see how it all worked (I almost titled this Adventures in newbie part two).

Anyway, we ended up firing up a pot, breaking out the doo-dads, and spending a couple hours brewing up this APA kit. These two had a blast, and have been calling every other day or so since we put the bucket to sleep in its corner.

I had intended to keg this, but after some thought I had them over today and we did the whole old fashion bottle thing. I showed them how to put the bubbles in with the sugar, and everyone took turns filling and capping. And for a change i had spare hands for scrubbing and sanitizing!

NOW, the OG on this critter was 1.041. right about where expected. And the FG sample today was 1.003 for 5% abv, so good to go all around there. The color was what you would expect from an extract with the ingredients included, and it smelled fantastic! I mean really really a nice aroma all the way around. So I tipped back the test jar to see what I had, and my first thought was Coors light with less flavor and more hops! I mean it was WATER for all intents and purposes. Very very thin and plain. Now i was not expecting a world beating APA from a flat test sample on a 20 dollar kit we brewed with a belly full of X-mas cheer. But . . .

Question is have any of you had experience with this kit? We still have 2-3 weeks in the bottle and i am sure things will develop but I really expect a TAD more flavor at this stage. How has it turned out for you who may have done it in the past?

It will taste less watery with carbonation, but 1.003 is very low for an APA. I don’t know anything about that kit but mine are usually 1.10

Agreed on the FG - BUT, I always take the readings with a little grain of salt. Their projected og was 1.046 we showed 1.041 they called for 4.7 ABV we are a tad under five - All seemed to be in the ball park. I have a couple of APA's i do pretty regular - this one just really seemed weak - BUT, all in all, a day earlier or later and my taste buds might have said other wise! We'll give it a go in a couple weeks. The kids are gonna like it one way or another i betcha - It's gonna have that "first brew" appeal:D Thanks for the input.

I have this kit in my primary. I’ll be bottling this weekend which will put it at a tad over 3 weeks in the fermenter. My OG was the same as yours, I’ll update with the FG this weekend.

Latest posts

Back