Micromatic Premium Plus Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncan.brown

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just traced the small CO2 leak in my system to my Taprite secondary regulator. It's really small, but it's enough to depressurized the primary CO2 gauge over 48 hours. However, it's not big enough to find with a star-san sprayer. Since it's not at any of the connections, as far as I can tell, it may be a bad bonnet.

I took this as an excuse to upgrade to the Micromatc Premium Plus regulator, their new model. The premium plus is awesome. First the negatives:
  1. Adjustment is with a grub screw, not a knob. That's fine for my application as I don't change the pressures much and only when I put a new style on the keg.
  2. The gauges are 0-60 psi which doesn't allow for much fine adjustment. I swapped the Mircomatic gauges for 0-15 and 0-30 psi gauges from Winters.
  3. There's no one one-way check valve at the outlet, but I have John Guest check valves closer to my kegs to prevent line contamination, so this isn't a big issue.
  4. They come with barbs not FFL, but I swapped the barbs for John Guest fittings.
However, the positives definitely outweigh the negatives. The action on the regulator is beautiful. It's smooth, responsive, and doesn't have the nasty grinding sound that @day_trippr and others noticed with the old Micromatic premium.

The constriction is rock solid. Everything is 1/4" NPT and sealed with high-quality teflon tape. That makes changing fittings and gauges a breeze, as there's no more struggling with pipe-doped in fittings.

It's my new favorite regulator:

IMG_0863.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back