Mexican cerveza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prince4118

Reaction score
I know this sounds vey very amateurish but Iv been brewing for a few months and my friend bought me the coopers Mexican cerveza tin and a bag of dextrose from big W (I'm Australian) I brewed it up let it clear and bottled, when bottling i notices i has almost no color or smell
smell so I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with this beer and can either reassure me or tell me where I wentt wrong

I know this sounds vey very amateurish but Iv been brewing for a few months and my friend bought me the coopers Mexican cerveza tin and a bag of dextrose from big W (I'm Australian) I brewed it up let it clear and bottled, when bottling i notices i has almost no color or smell
smell so I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with this beer and can either reassure me or tell me where I wentt wrong

I bought the one from Mr Beer and it tasted like water. It was my 2nd batch ever and I was dissapointed. Not sure if that beer is the same as coopers.

Mexican Cervezas are lagers and I'm guessing the kit you guys did was fermented at ale temperatures?

There are also other factors that could contribute, but Id need more info on your brew process. Maybe you over diluted it?

smell so I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with this beer and can either reassure me or tell me where I went wrong

You didn't. Mexican cerveza, for the most part, is an extreme version of American light lager, having a very delicate color and flavor at the best of times. There are exceptions, such as Bohemia (a more classically style pilsener) or Dos Equis (an amber lager along the Viennese style, if a bit lighter), but most of the beers generically called 'beer' in Mexico, such as Corona or Pacifico, are like this.

Set it out in the sun for a couple hours then put it back in the dark wait a week and taste. You will get that corona "funk" you seek, but there is no way to tell how much "funk" you will get. That will be where the taste comes from. I not joking either.:mug:

The Coopers kit is an ale. It is meant to be fermented at ale temperatures.

this.

also, the OP posted he added dextrose to it. which will make it pretty tasteless and boring. you definetely need to add some DME. i did this kit before and don't mind it. i use Coopers Cerveza, 500gr DME, 500gr Dextrose, and US-05 yeast. i'm not a fan of the Coopers yeast.

It's by no means the most amazing beer i've ever had, but it's nice on a hot day were your bag sticks to your leg.

Sunlight causes beer to "skunk." It reacts with the hop oils. AFAIK, Corona has never confirmed it, but it's widely believed that Corona is deliberately "skunked" to get that characteristic flavour.

Set it out in the sun for a couple hours then put it back in the dark wait a week and taste. You will get that corona "funk" you seek, but there is no way to tell how much "funk" you will get. That will be where the taste comes from. I not joking either.:mug:

Sunlight causes beer to "skunk." It reacts with the hop oils. AFAIK, Corona has never confirmed it, but it's widely believed that Corona is deliberately "skunked" to get that characteristic flavour.

I wouldn't doubt either of these. I find the same skunky taste in Heineken too.

I've got some new castle as well. Mostly our fault. Any thing in clear or green glass skunks quickly.

I skunk some of my beers, I love the skunk. I tried some of the canned stella artois a while back and I remember thinking "what the hell this doesnt taste like stella"!

I was wondering about this, I am on my 2nd and 3rd batches of Cerveza, 1st was a Brewhouse kit, 2nd is a Festa which is currently on tap and I have a Barons in primary.

I was given sparkling reviews on both kit 1 & 2 and seriously the Brewhouse tasted like the cheap watery house draft they serve on 25 cent draft night and the Festa doesn't taste like anything.

I love all Mexican beer but none of these cerveza taste anything like it. Maybe my Barons needs some time in the sun when it goes into secondary. ..

Well they use clear glass bottles. I would say it was deliberately skunked.

Just wondering if a uv light would work to skunk?
Brewing at work and if I put the beer in the alley for the sunlight it would be gone in 30 seconds...

My shop has no windows.

Back