mexican and danish/copenhager lager yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
so been brewing quite a few lagers lately, something is starting to make me paranoid- i cant seem to get good hop levels in the beer.

i'm starting to think either the IBU calculator for Brewer's Friend is WAY off, or these yeasts REALLY like to pull the hop oils out of solution and flocc.

calculated IBUs on some recent beers in the 5% range have been 60ish and still get very little bittering and very little to no hop flavor. its crazy.

i've seen data from whitelabs that in a multi split batch test at an intended 60IBU wort, the 940 came in at a measured 44ibus vs 001 at 57, 051 at 50ibus, etc. the danish/copenhagen wasnt part of that trial though, but one of the german lagers was and it was even worse than the 940, right around 40IBU. maybe all the north euro strains are hop scavengers?

anybody have a similar experience with one of these strains?

my first thought is to ditch all the calculators and DIY micromanaging stuff out there and look at some known recipes and compare their estimated IBU's for hops added/gal and compare them to the numbers you are having. my reasoning is if you find a recipe that states it has X IBU and requires Y ounces of hops/5gal batch, you can be pretty certain if you add those hops to your batch itll come out pretty close

well considering i'm up near 1oz/gal of hops that's a bit crazy to me to still be so lacking in flavor. i'm not oppposed to the idea that im getting both screwy numbers from calculator as well as crappy hop results.

obviously not all hops are similar in flavor/aroma strength, ibus/AAs, etc. but 1oz/gal is a pretty hefty rate of hopping.

its making me think- and there's way too many possibilities
- the yeasts just eat a ton of hops and dont leave much behind
- maybe d-rests are somehow involved, as i never did them before?
- if i am over-oxygenating could i be scrubbing hop flavor away like co2 can do?
- stop doing whirlpooling?- go back to 10-15 min and 1-5 min additions like before?
-- stop doing first wort hop and go back to normal 60min charge?

or maybe my brewing is somehow to blame- maybe something to do with BIAB?

so many things, some more likely or plausible than others, but at the end of the day- just not getting enough hop flavor in these lagers......
-

Back