Metallic taste from regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TnFarmer

Reaction score
I hooked a regulator up that had been sitting for a long time and the beer had a metallic taste. Luckily I had a different regulator and tried it and the taste was gone. Any ideas on getting rid of that taste from the first regulator?

Background: I'm new to kegging and got a kegerator, kegs, co2 tank and regulator from a friend who didn't want it anymore. A few days after I got some more kegs and several co2 tanks and a regulator for free from Craigslist that hadn't been used for awhile.

I'm sorry but I think it's in your head. I don't think if a gas permeated a liquid to give it a metallic taste it would be gone just by swapping regulators. Maybe the beer had some carbonic acid that you tasted as metalic. You were probably just tasting co2

I didn't mention (don't know if it matters) this was a commercial Sierra Nevada pale ale and as soon as I tapped it both my da and I had the metallic taste and as soon as I switched regulators and ran a beer through neither of us or anyone else had that taste.

Commercial kegs come pre-carbed. So unless you vent and re-carb, pretty much no CO2 is going to enter the beer, you're just using it to push the beer out. Regardless, if it was really a contamination issue it definitely wouldn't go away after you poured one beer. I'd agree that it's in your head, or more likely it's something else causing the flavor. What kind of lines/faucets/etc? Were they cleaned? Sometimes if the beer sits in the line too long it can pick up a vinyl taste from cheaper beer line.

Back