Metallic Flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich8932

Reaction score
I realize that this topic gets debated endlessly, so I apologize for creating another.

I've made two AG wheat ales in the last 6 months and both had a metallic taste. I've made several beers before, between and since that have NOT had this issue so I don't believe it's my equipment or water. I also don't believe it's oxidation because again, my process hasn't changed.

The only uniquely common factors with these two brews is that the mash was mostly pale/pilsner & wheat. The hops were completely different and one batch included lemon & honey. I wonder if the culprit is WAY too much primer sugar for bottling. Due to the fact that I have no scale and the LHBS mislabeled the package it took awhile to realize my mistake. So, can ~16 oz. of primer sugar in a 5.5 gallon batch create a metallic taste?

I have noticed that beers when young or over-carbonated can have a metallic taste. In my experience it has been English yeast strains that sometimes give my beers a metallic taste for whatever reason.

Give the beer a few months and the taste should go away.

Also you should definitely get a digital scale for your measurements. I bought a cheap one on amazon for $20 that allows me to measure anything from priming sugar to grain. Amazon.com: American Weigh Scales Table Top Postal Scale, Black: Health & Personal Care

Last edited by a moderator:
I SHOULD buy a lot of stuff for brewing. Unfortunately I'm often reminded that my "beer gig" is getting out of control! That plus I have too many hobbies.

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty convinced that the excess of carbonation/primer sugar is the reason but I was hoping others could verify. Also, the metallic flavor never dissipated in the brew I did back in June. Thankfully the more recent batch is drinkable. :mug:

Back