Met my first HBT'er today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HillbillyDeluxe

Reaction score
I'm from lexington KY, in the Liquor barn today getting the ingedients for my hop hammer IPA(using death brewers AG stovetop method.... much props bro!) and heard these (Kids) talkin about how the guy was "addicted to homebrewing" and i had to strike a conversation.
Now i'm probably not the kind of guy these kids would have talked to normally... truth be told i would not have spoke to them either. They were about collage age and i'm a 40yo biker that kinda resembles charles manson. But we really hit it off. The young cat was really into brewing, and really exited that i did AG. Amazing how brewinran transends ender, age, culure, religeon, and educaon. I gave him my PH# and screen name here, i hope to hear from him. My wife my wife thinks i'm an idiot!

Well friendships can happen in the strangest of ways so I wouldnt sweat it.

-off topic-
My bro moved to Lexington a few years ago. Whenever he comes to Parkersburg, WV to see his family and friends he always brings some Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale for us. I love that beer. I am fermenting my 2nd brew now but eventually I want to brew a clone of that and eventually do a bourbon porter or stout. Unfortunately we do not get many bourbon barrel beers here :( Bourbon is my favorite whiskey.

Had this happen many times. If you look at me you would never think that I'm into the hobbies that I am.

I've met a couple of guys on here, they can vouche for that.

It's always exciting meeting somebody new with the same enthusiasm. I met a friend of a friend (both are members here) one night. We got to talking and we had the same obsession. Both our girlfriends give us **** about falling asleep to podcasts everynight and reading anything beer related whenever we have a spare chance. I remember on the drive home being giddy. My girlfriend just laughs at me.

Had this happen many times. If you look at me you would never think that I'm into the hobbies that I am.

My hobby before I started the homebrewing one is video game console hacking. Been doing that for a while actually. I'm actually a big technology geek but you would never know by looking at me.

My wife thinks i'm an idiot!

Just wanted to use my first post to say don't feel like the lone ranger, Im pretty suer my wife thinks I'm an idiot too. :mug: Any way cool story, always good to meet people with a common interest or is it obsession?....lol Hope to see your new friends join up here soon. This is a great site. [/lurking]

Hahahha.... I fall asleep to brewing podcasts every night. My bed time decision is whether to listen to thebrewingnetwork.com or basicbrewing.com. My wife calls it my beer movies. I tend to like James Spencer the most but he dosen't have as many podcasts. I just find him to be the most entertaining.

Well I'm going to bed and I'm thinking Brewstrong tonight.

My wife knows I'm an idiot.

Well, it's apparent to anybody who knows you, really. ;)

I guess I don't think I look like a brewer, either. I'm also newly into cheesemaking, and I love to hunt, fish, kayak, and camp. I'm not sure I really look like the outdoor/earth mother type, but maybe I do.

People do seem to be surprised when I talk about beer and brewing, around people who don't know me.

Most people are suprised when they find out I brew. I was picking up some books from the store and the guy at the register asked if I was buying these as a gift and I said no they're for me. Like Yooperbrew I guess I don't look like the homebrewer type. I mean not many folks expect a woman with long dreads to make beer. We started chatting about different kinds of beer. Thankfully, there was another person working who handled the poor folks waiting in line.

I've had the oddest conversations with people mostly in bars because I like to take my books with me and do informal beer tastings. Kind of a hands on learning...well at least until I'm too drunk to see the pages clearly.

WSG

Left over from a previous project I had some biz card stock left over. I printed the web addresses for several of my favoite online retailers, my club, my LHBS, My favorite forums, Link to how to brew and of course my contact info.

I've passed these out at the market, parties, camping, etc... So far of the 20 or so I've handed out, I know of 6 people that have not only looked into it, but are now actually brewing.

Conversation could start as easy as, you can make 5 gallons of that at home for $25-35..... or once my SWMBO said why are you looking for beer, don't you have 4 taps at home... needless to say some guy said woha, 4 taps? I handed him a card. I'll be sampling his latest beer on this coming Wed.

You never know who or when/where you'll find that brewing spark in others...

Left over from a previous project I had some biz card stock left over. I printed the web addresses for several of my favoite online retailers, my club, my LHBS, My favorite forums, Link to how to brew and of course my contact info.

I've passed these out at the market, parties, camping, etc... So far of the 20 or so I've handed out, I know of 6 people that have not only looked into it, but are now actually brewing.

Conversation could start as easy as, you can make 5 gallons of that at home for $25-35..... or once my SWMBO said why are you looking for beer, don't you have 4 taps at home... needless to say some guy said woha, 4 taps? I handed him a card. I'll be sampling his latest beer on this coming Wed.

You never know who or when/where you'll find that brewing spark in others...

John the Fermentist over here!

Preach it!

Just wanted to use my first post to say don't feel like the lone ranger, Im pretty suer my wife thinks I'm an idiot too. :mug: Any way cool story, always good to meet people with a common interest or is it obsession?....lol Hope to see your new friends join up here soon. This is a great site. [/lurking]

wecome to HBT. :mug: What part of IL you from?

Cool story. I am college age myself and plan to take our latest homebrew to the homebrewers club once the secondary fermentation is done. anyway, I am friends with a few people that are twenty + years older than me and have hobbies and interests that people never really expect as well

Back