Messed up! Need Advice Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowlboundgman

Reaction score
I first want to thank this forum for all the help and great threads over my past two months of brewing!
I am on my 5th extract batch and I tried my first full boil for a Midwest Cream Stout. I thought that I added about 6.5 gallons of water to start. However, I must of added more. After my hour boil and cool down I placed the wort in the fermenter and had about 5..75 gallons and another 1/2 gallon still in the kettle.. The SG was 1.040 . Midwest directions call for SG of 1.044-1.048. Is it beyond repair?

Well, you could have boiled longer to reduce the volume..........or just be happy with a lower gravity of more beer!! make notes and correct for next batch:)

Do you think it will impact the flavor greatly? Does it make a difference how hot my boil is? I think I had it at a steady 225.

What are you boiling it with jet fuel ? Kidding but water boils at 212

Note how much you boiled off in a hour and adjusts starting volume for next batch

It's all along road of little tweaks and improvements in your process nothing to worry over at all

In my humble opinion I see no reason to boil more than the a half gallon over the final quantity of the recipe. Boil off on a given day is difficult to predict. I prefer to be conservative and add one-half to one gallon of top off water at the end. When all is done I can relax not worry.

Back