Messed up from the beginning!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBRS1844

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Yesterday I learned a huge lesson. Don't rush and keep things simple.
Yesterday I was brewing a clone of a breakfast stout that I have made maybe three other times. I rushed a d totally overthought the whole process. Used too much water, didn't use my hop bag in kettle, shut my wort chiller off too soon. I mean I could not have done anything else wrong, well I could have. At the end of the day, I ended with a Brew House efficiency of 54%. I have not been that low in years. I normally am between 78% -80%.
So I pitched my yeast at 80 degrees, way too hot, and put the top on after agitating it. It is sitting at 74 degrees right now and is fermenting like crazy. I'm cooling it off to get to about 68 to 70.
I could do one of two things; let it ride or dump it.
I think I'm going to let it ride. Use it as a learning experience.

Anyone ever have a brew day this bad?

Sounds like you had quite a day. I'm curious as to where in the process you believe you "overthought." 🤔

Sounds like you had quite a day. I'm curious as to where in the process you believe you "overthought." 🤔
So I bought a pump and this was the first time using it... My thought process was "this pump will reduce the amount of wort I have". So I added too much water. That through me off from there. First time in maybe 5 years I had a rough brew day.

Not normally but this one has me so frustrated lol.

I get it... It'll still be beer.

I literally hit ever number on Sundays Mexican Lager brew only to notice the out connection on my IC was leaking into my brew. Only dropped the SG by 4 points buy still annoying. Checked before chilling and no leak. I guess the high pressure of kinking the hose off to change locations blew something open. Sh*t happens

Back