Messed up and need HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brkemmerer

Reaction score
So I brewed on Friday (today's Sunday) and I realized that I failed to add an ingredient, powdered Ginger, to my boil! I bought a kit for a Christmas Cheer Beer and the spices were sweet orange peel, cinnamon sticks and ginger. Well, now there's no ginger! SO...my question is this: I keg, so should I simply add the Ginger to the keg in it's powder form, OR go get some liquid extract and try it that way?

It's my understanding that the ginger flavor can bring some heat and that's not exactly what I'm wanting from this brew. Nice flavor? Yes. But not HEAT.

Any suggestions I failed to mention are greatly welcomed!

I'm 48 hours into fermentation now...should I try it now? I'm worried about infecting it...

Since you are already that far in you might want to consider some DME instead and add to secondary. That way the DME will give you a little boost for your yeast in suspension. Might get a little more fermentation in secondary.

Another thing you could try is adding it to your priming solution when you go to bottle. This is a useful way to retain a lot of the aromatic components in spice additions (particularly mulling spices), since they will not be driven off during fermentation. Just make sure you boil it for a few minutes to sanitize.

Every ginger flavored craft beer i have had has tasted like crap. I love ginger on everything as well.

Pull a pint of your beer into a sauce pot, add your ginger, boil it for awhile, then dump the cooled extract back in your fermenter...

Cheers!

this is exactally what i would do. It wont be the same as doing it during the main boil, but will be closer than just throwing it in the keg.

I'm 48 hours into fermentation now...should I try it now? I'm worried about infecting it...

i wouldnt worry about this. its better you are into ferm. a few days, less chance of an infection when you are into the main ferm. That process keeps infections from happening. I would be more concerned if it was say, 5-6 hours since pitching.

I second the idea of boiling the ginger with some DME and adding to the active fermentation.

Or you might consider making a ginger tincture with vodka and adding it your keg like it's a brite tank.

this is exactally what i would do. It wont be the same as doing it during the main boil, but will be closer than just throwing it in the keg.

i wouldnt worry about this. its better you are into ferm. a few days, less chance of an infection when you are into the main ferm. That process keeps infections from happening. I would be more concerned if it was say, 5-6 hours since pitching.

Thanks all for the input! I've pulled a small amount, brought it to boil, added my ginger, boiled over (lol but not REALLY lol), cooled and put back in the fermenter! It'll still be strong ginger flavor I'm guessing since it didn't boil all that long, but it'll still be good for a Holiday beer! Thanks again everyone!

Thanks all for the input! I've pulled a small amount, brought it to boil, added my ginger, boiled over (lol but not REALLY lol), cooled and put back in the fermenter! It'll still be strong ginger flavor I'm guessing since it didn't boil all that long, but it'll still be good for a Holiday beer! Thanks again everyone!

Following. Please post back with your results!

I tried making a ginger beer once using crystallized ginger. I used it like fruit and racked the beer into secondary onto it. Had no idea how much to use and ended up using way to much and all I could taste was ginger. Hope yours is better then mine was.

Beware, fresh ginger and dried ginger (powder) are 2 totally different tasting spices. Great Lakes uses chunks of fresh ginger in their Christmas Ale and I find it very good, and many others share that opinion, although noted, it's not for everyone. It's all about balance and preference with spiced ales. What is just right for one maybe way too much for someone else.

You can use the fresh ginger in some beers but leave the powder for marinating or dusting your stir fry chicken or pork cubes.

Now Southern Tier's 2XMas ale I find disgusting, very medicinal tasting, so I stay away from that. Probably among the worst beer I've ever had. Yet, they're selling thousands of gallons of it.

Last edited:
The last ginger beer I had made me feel as if I was sucking on a bag of potpourri. Gross...I'd just leave it out.

Back