Messed up adding Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minesman

Reaction score
Did my first home brew today - Milk Stout.
Followed the instructions perfectly up to adding the hops. I was supposed to add Magnum hops, boil 50 minutes, then add Cascade hops and boil for another 10 minutes. But I messed up and added both hops before the 50 minute boil.
I finished off the process and the brew is in the fermenter now.
Question is - what exactly have i made and what effect will the mistake have on the finish product?

Mistake not withstanding - it was a blast and i will be brewing more.

That depends on how many ounces of hops. Seeing as it's a stout I am guessing that it was a low amount. Worst case scenario is that it may be slightly more bitter than intended.

I agree with Enemy. The worst thing is that it will be more bitter than you were expecting. Other than that, all is well

Agree with the others. In a nut shell, you made a hopstout! The hops will take away from the usual sweetness of a milk stout, but hey, you still MADE beer!

Maybe this;) she clearly wouldn't like an IPA.

image.jpeg

Agree with others, esp. enemygod, that your overall bittering will be a little heavier. While (U.S.) Magnum @10-12% AA is mainly for bittering, (U.S.) Cascade @ 4.5 - 7% has more of a flowery, spicy, grapefruit flavor (besides bittering) that may be somewhat out of character for a milk stout. JOEBEER put it perfectly: a hopstout.

Agree with others, esp. enemygod, that your overall bittering will be a little heavier. While (U.S.) Magnum @10-12% AA is mainly for bittering, (U.S.) Cascade @ 4.5 - 7% has more of a flowery, spicy, grapefruit flavor (besides bittering) that may be somewhat out of character for a milk stout. JOEBEER put it perfectly: a hopstout.

Since he boiled the cascade for 50 minutes there will be very little flavor or aroma from the cascade right? Which seems like a good thing as cascade wouldn't seem to go well as a flavor/aroma with a milk stout.

Since he boiled the cascade for 50 minutes there will be very little flavor or aroma from the cascade right? Which seems like a good thing as cascade wouldn't seem to go well as a flavor/aroma with a milk stout.

Sorry, I may have implied that the Cascade would add flavor/aroma, but you are correct that it won't after 50 minutes. While bittering hops do add flavor to a slight degree, any combination of hops used in a sweet or milk stout, whether English or American, is solely for balancing the lactosian character of the stout.

Finally bottled the beer. Ended up with a half bottle which i opened a week after bottling. I like it! You were spot on with the hoppiness. Wasnt sure how it would turn out but so far i am happy with it. Will let the rest stay put for another week or so then try another.

Finally bottled the beer. Ended up with a half bottle which i opened a week after bottling. I like it! You were spot on with the hoppiness. Wasnt sure how it would turn out but so far i am happy with it. Will let the rest stay put for another week or so then try another.

Being a stout, make sure you save some for later. I bet they taste better 6 months from now. ;)

Back