Memorial day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enohcs

Reaction score
Do your memorial day plans include beer or brewing?
I'll be making an American pale, and drinking an American red. Anyone have some blueberry ale they can send my way so I can be truly patriotic with my beer activities?

I just put a 13lb pork shoulder in the smoker. Using a multigrain summer ale, from the local microbrewery, in the marinade pan. Couldn't let the meat hog all the brew so I totally poured myself a glass at 7am.
Happy memorial day.
Now that the meat is under way, time to bring the strike water up to temp.

enohcs said:
I just put a 13lb pork shoulder in the smoker. Using a multigrain summer ale, from the local microbrewery, in the marinade pan. Couldn't let the meat hog all the brew so I totally poured myself a glass at 7am.
Happy memorial day.

I'm smoking up a pork tenderlion today too. I like your idea about the marinade. I may borrow it.

I will be brewing a wee heavy today. This will be a first for me.

Happy memorial day.

I will be throwing some Moink balls on the smoker as well as brewing a Memorial Day SMaSH Pale Ale.

Brewing an Alt Bier today for my birthday. Smoked some pork tenderloins yesterday.

Why does it seem as though most brewers also smoke meat?

My bacon covered pork shoulder over hickory.

image-1418212022.jpg

I think my brew partner and I will be making a Belgian Blonde today. Also need to get the herb garden in (vegetables were in a couple of weeks ago, but the rains and storms here have kept us from getting the herbs in the ground).

We're makin country ribs with sweet rub & smoked with apple wood in the pit. With potatoes bakin along side,brushed with butter & extra virgin olive oil. Grilled veggies & bbq beans with kidney beans,black beans,roasted corn,peppers in a chipotle sauce. And a couple kinds of beer. Got a table in the shade all ready & waitin! Happy memorial day to all! & don't forget family that gave their all so we could be doing things like this in the 1st place!!:mug:

unionrdr said:
We're makin country ribs with sweet rub & smoked with apple wood in the pit. With potatoes bakin along side,brushed with butter & extra virgin olive oil. Grilled veggies & bbq beans with kidney beans,black beans,roasted corn,peppers in a chipotle sauce. And a couple kinds of beer. Got a table in the shade all ready & waitin! Happy memorial day to all! & don't forget family that gave their all so we could be doing things like this in the 1st place!!:mug:

Sounds amazing.
No better way to honor the people who have served than by consuming excessive amounts of meat and beer.

too funny, yesterday I smoked a pork shoulder over whiskey barrel oak and cherry wood

today is brew day!

remman4 said:
too funny, yesterday I smoked a pork shoulder over whiskey barrel oak and cherry wood

today is brew day!

Does the whisky barrel oak come through different than regular oak? It sounds fantastic.
Imagine the life of that whisky barrel. Spent a few years making whisky, maybe follow that up with aging a porter, then finally smoking a pork shoulder. If only we could all be so lucky.

OK Americans...pop quiz...who is the only living medal of honor recipient since the Vietnam War....

...but I bet you know who won the last American Idol don't you?

This Memorial Day weekend has been my biggest brewing weekend yet. On Saturday I bottled a Northern Brewer Caribou Slobber. I then worked on a new chiller. On Sunday I brewed a local HBS clone of Fuller London Porter, plus I smoked a 10 lb. pork picnic roast. Today I brewed NB's Bourbon Barrel Porter. And I drank plenty of beer all throughout.

Answer to above question - US Staff Sergeant Salvatore Giuanta. I knew the basic name and story from the news stories but had to look up the exact spelling. For those interested, the official DoD narrative is here. SSgt Giunta's story in his own words is [ame="http://vimeo.com/16662374"]here[/ame]. I retired in February after 32 years total service - 6 active AF, 1 Army Guard, 25 Air Guard with 23 as full-time.

OK Americans...pop quiz...who is the only living medal of honor recipient since the Vietnam War....

...but I bet you know who won the last American Idol don't you?

SSG Salvatore Augustine Giunta.

What do I win?

Saturday, I brewed SWMBO Slayer, and today I'm Smoking some St. Louis Ribs, Whole Chickens and ABT's, while drinking copious amounts of Homebrew from the taps. Friends are showing up at 4, hope I'm sober enough to serve up the food haha!

SSG Salvatore Augustine Giunta.

What do I win?

You win the right to pat yourself on the back for being 1% of the American population that knows the answer to that question.

Happy Memorial Day!

Does the whisky barrel oak come through different than regular oak? It sounds fantastic.
Imagine the life of that whisky barrel. Spent a few years making whisky, maybe follow that up with aging a porter, then finally smoking a pork shoulder. If only we could all be so lucky.

I've never used regular oak, but I can tell you that the smells coming out of the smoker are amazing with the whiskey barrel oak!

Not sure that any of it ends up in the final meat flavor, but it did taste amazing

Tapped 1st beer at 6am while waiting for water to get to temp.....made a Wit and a Schwartz 5gallon batches.......Ribs in the smoker Tapping and eating rest of today Everyone enjoy the day............Prayers for our Service men/women for their work!

Brewed a big brown ale yesterday. Might bottle the wheat today. Then again, maybe I'll just sit back and relax and worry about bottling some other time...

Back