Melomels, Pectin, & Campden Tablets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mead'n It

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am in the process of making my second batch of mead which I plan on turning into either a 5 gallon multi berry or two 2.5 gallon batches one raspberry and the other blueberry. I am going to add the fruit in the secondary after the primary fermentation has occurred. When I add the fruit I expect the fermentation to restart. As I have been doing a little research I have seen a lot of people using pectin enzymes and campden tablets.

As I understand it the pectin is just to help clear the haze out of the mead. Instead of adding more product can you not just cold crash it? Or is it different when you add fruit?

The campden tablets end up stopping the fermentation right? Do you need to use these? I wasn't planning on it but it sounds like a lot of people do.

Also, I was just planning on rinsing the fruit in RO water after picking through to pull out any bad fruit. Not necessarily worried about the natural yeast on the fruit since the ABV will already be relatively high. Is this a safe assumption?

not sure about the yeast but as I understand it the enzyme is to break the chemical bonds of the fruit pectins and release more of the natural sugars or convert them into another sugar. ( still learning this stuff) all I know for sure is the "old timers" around here swear by it so it must be a good idea to use it.

Back