melomel in 2nd problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

songe

Reaction score
so i have two batches of 1 gallon mugs with melomel... This was my first try on making mead (i added fruits in 2nd) i did not filled them all the way up to allow expatiation.

The problmen now is that the melomel is being forced trough the airlock. I think the mead went out of suspension and picked up again. Now the problem is that i will be leaving for 6 weeks in about two days. How much should i siphon out so that i wont have allot of gue on the floor when getting home again? i added 2.2lb of frozen fruits to each 1 gal bottle.

With any luck the fermentation will have slowed down in 2 days if not empty it to the shoulder of the jar. When fermentation is active I don't like to fill the jars beyond the shoulder of the jar. The must will be fine with that much head space until you get back in 6 weeks.

I'd just clean your airlock and put it back on. Usually those explosions are a one time thing after adding fruit. Unless its actively seeping out as we speak., in that case, I'd rack some into a soda bottle a fridge that (add it back when it calms down or racking off the fruit).

You can also clean the airlock and put the jugs in a quarantine zone (for 1 gallon carboys, I use 5 gal buckets.)

Soo a small update. i siphoned some out of both of them around 1000 o'clock. and when i got back home today. 1700. well same problem. so i just cleaned the airlock again, pushed some of the fruits down (sanitized everything ofc) and actually placed one of them in a 5 gal bucked to avoid spillage all over the place. and the other one in a 4 gal honey bucked i had laying around.

I did not think it would be so active adding the fruits. im using the sweet mead yeast. and it was really close to its breaking point of alc tolerance when racking. had to do it a bit early coz of the traveling. But that just means i need to leave it longer in 2nd and store it longer in bottles. Guessing it might be an off taste since it was not completely done in primary fermenter.

And another one. after racking again. i have uhm 2.5 gallons of plain mead aswell. is it ok to add some oak to a small batch of that? thinking of trying 3 bottles with oaked mead

Back