meat grinder to mill grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mismost

Reaction score
I have an awesome bad a$$ motorized meat grinder....this thing will grind a 100 pounds of deer meat in about 30 minutes easy.

was wondering if anybody ever used a meat grinder to "mill" their grains?

I don't think a meat grinder could grind then fine enough. Besides the fact that a grain mill cracks them more than grinds them. And the fatty residues inside the thing could contaminate the grains.

If his grinder is like ours or any I have used, they come apart to clean. There should be no residue left after proper cleaning. Biab folks grind the snot out of the grain. I would get it out and try it. You would know pretty quick and wouldn't take but half a pound or so.

Idk, I do pm biab & don't grind it very fine at all & get good efficiency. But give it a try to see how it does. Here's what my crush looks like;

The long skinny bits are rice hulls, due to the flaked oats in the mash.

I have an awesome bad a$$ motorized meat grinder....this thing will grind a 100 pounds of deer meat in about 30 minutes easy.

was wondering if anybody ever used a meat grinder to "mill" their grains?

I think the mechanisms are completley different. A meat grinder uses a spiral screw to mash the meat and force it through a series of knives. A grain mill uses either plates or curled rollers to smash the grain.

I'd run a few pounds through it and see what it does. I'm guessing it won't work, but I'd like to hear the results.

Alternatively you can try to mash some deer meat and see what kind of beer it makes. Maybe a nice 'Rudolph Red Ale' :D

I think the mechanisms are completley different. A meat grinder uses a spiral screw to mash the meat and force it through a series of knives. A grain mill uses either plates or curled rollers to smash the grain.

I'd run a few pounds through it and see what it does. I'm guessing it won't work, but I'd like to hear the results.

Alternatively you can try to mash some deer meat and see what kind of beer it makes. Maybe a nice 'Rudolph Red Ale' :D

I might try to pickle some sausage to eat with a non-meat flavored beer. You know, I mix my sausage spices with wine...might have to try that with beer next time...the wine adds a little somethin somethin, but you do not taste the wine at all...just more better. we may have tripped on to something here!

I don't think a meat grinder could grind then fine enough. Besides the fact that a grain mill cracks them more than grinds them. And the fatty residues inside the thing could contaminate the grains.
I was thinking to buy a brand new one.

I tried exactly this years ago when I was flat broke and trying to make moonshine. It kinda worked...at first. Got some small pieces lots of whole grains and then I stripped out the plastic gears in my cheapo meat grinder. No more sausage or shine for a while. The grain is too hard for a meat grinder when it binds up. I sure wouldn’t risk messing up my “ bad a$$” grinder to try save little bit now. Probably get a better grind with a cheapo grain mill than you will with an expensive meat grinder. It’s hunting season, your going to need that meat grinder!!!

I might try to pickle some sausage to eat with a non-meat flavored beer. You know, I mix my sausage spices with wine...might have to try that with beer next time...the wine adds a little somethin somethin, but you do not taste the wine at all...just more better. we may have tripped on to something here!

There’s a grocery store out here called Lucky’s that makes a beer brat. They vary the beer types but it’s always something local. You can absolutely taste the beer in them. Amazingly delicious.

Instead of using your meat grinder, find a cheap blender. As long as you don't run it too long, it should crush your grain just fine. It will take longer, but in the long run will be a better bet.

A meat grinder for sure won't give a good crush. Meat grinders work by pushing meat into holes in the plate and then slicing the meat in the holes

What if I eliminate the front plates?

I was thinking to buy a brand new one.

Quit thinking about a meat grinder for anything but grinding meat. You can buy a cheap Corona style mill that is designed for milling grain which works fine and can easily be motorized to mill it quickly. For a bit more money you can get a roller mill, again easily motorized.

Cheap Corona style mills are readily available and can be special ordered to be delivered to a local Walmart.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/COKO-Man...66001f5-46cfa622-146486309a18a716&athena=true

Quit thinking about a meat grinder for anything but grinding meat. You can buy a cheap Corona style mill that is designed for milling grain which works fine and can easily be motorized to mill it quickly. For a bit more money you can get a roller mill, again easily motorized.

Cheap Corona style mills are readily available and can be special ordered to be delivered to a local Walmart.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/COKO-Man...66001f5-46cfa622-146486309a18a716&athena=true

I've been using a motorized corona grinder for 19 years and it still grinds as good as day one.
I put it together using an old corona grinder marked "made in Colombia" I got at a flea mkt for $5
The burrs were (are) worn bad but it results in the split hulls nearly intact on one side and cracked grain ejecting out on the other. I usually hover at 86% efficiency. Rarely have I had a stuck mash either.
Ol'e Charlie Papazian was dead on with this one.
I did this after I got tired of sending back the Barely Crusher to be refurbed 3 times total.

Back