Measuring priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spohl1

Reaction score
Im going to bottle my red ale soon and all it says in the instructions is to add 1/2 a teaspoon to each bottle. I used an app that calculated just under 5 oz. now would that be 5oz in a measuring cup or 5oz weight? Because i don't have a scale. If that is weight roughly how much should i add using a measuring cup

That is close. My kits have 4.5oz of priming sugar for a 5gal kit. I dissolve this sugar into a pyrex cup that has hot water in it, stir until dissolved, then cool in the freezer (about 15m). Once cool I add to the bottling bucket as I Siphon into it out of the Fermenter. I would think adding to each individual bottle would be a major PITA.

Ok awesome i added 3/4 of a cup to 1 cup of boiling water and added it slowly to the beer as i was racking it to the bottling bucket. Then gently stirred so im sure it will turn out fine

Ok so i was talking to a lady at a lhbs and she told me i should have used 2 cups dextrose for priming and that i should dump it all back in the bucket add the rest of the sugar and rebottle. That seems like alot was she out to lunch? Im more curious for my next fewbatches im not going to touch that one

Do you have Palmer's book?

Check for it online. Tells you everything you need to know about priming.

No unfortunately i dont have any brewing books. And any info i find is always in oz weight so i guess i should just go buy a cheap kitchen scale. And im sure my red ale that i added 3/4 of a cup to will be fine

It's 5 ounces by weight, which would be roughly .7 cups..

I forgot you posted this. So i guess that lady at the store is out to lunch then good. I should still go buy a scale i had to make an educated guess on how much grain to use brewing last night lol

Back