Measuring FG after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkeusch

Reaction score
I suppose this is a dumb question but here goes:
I bottled my batch of beer, forgetting to measure my Finished Gravity. If I check it now on a carbonated sample from a bottle, should I get the same reading I would have gotten had I taken it before adding the priming sugar? (assuming the temperature is a constant.)

The good news is that now I can drink the sample.

No you'll get a higher gravity reading. You have to back calculate what the amount of sugar contributed in terms of gravity, assuming that it has been less than a day. Otherwise the yeast will have already changed the reading yet again.

Oh wait I misread. Yeah you should get a very close one to what you'd have prior to bottling, that is assuming your priming sugar has been all used up. But that's a bassackwards way of doing it. Not sure if I am missing anything there though. I'd just skip it and not worry :D

don't concern yourself, you only use that small amount of sugar to carbonate the beer and it will be a VERY small difference from what your FG was before bottling

You will get a slightly lower reading IF you primed with corn sugar or something else that is 100% fermentable, because the ABV went up slightly and alcohol is lighter than water or sugar.

Very slightly lower. Very.

Wouldn't the bubbles throw off the readings?

In addition if you never checked FG your lucky you didn't get bottle bombs, unless you just let it sit for a long time prior to bottling then your safe.

GaryA said:
Wouldn't the bubbles throw off the readings?

In addition if you never checked FG your lucky you didn't get bottle bombs, unless you just let it sit for a long time prior to bottling then your safe.

Yes, bubbles will throw off your reading, but you can usually get a good reading by gently spinning or tapping your hydrometer. A few bubbles on there or some very small bubbles won't throw your reading off by enough to matter, just like priming sugar wouldn't.

Just FYI, adding the typical 5 oz. of dextrose to a five gallon batch raises SG by about 0.002.

TL

Back