mead tastes terrible almost 2 years later

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalleyeGuy

Reaction score
I've got the second batch of mead I ever made aging for 2 years and it is still terrible. Burning, fuel, bad. Used joes quick grape mead recipe, but with peach mango mead juice instead of grape.

what I've learned since, made a bunch of mistakes.
No nutrients
Heated must to boil
Left a lot of headroom in secondary
Tasted bad, so instead of bottling transferred to another jug and put a twist cap on it....with a lot of headspace again.

What us the bad taste? Willl it age out? Or Should I dump?

I've never dumped anything, I'll bottle and age if it will get better. Just not sure if it's worth it with all the mistakes I made

Mead is notorious for taking a long time to age, especially if best practices are not used. You may find that you open a bottle 6 months from now and it is wonderful or it may still be awful a year from now. Nothing to loose just waiting and seeing.

Also, if you are saying it is not in bottles and the jug it is in has a lot of head space, then I would get it in bottles asap (add some sulphite). As long as it doesn't taste oxidized or vinegary then you may have a shot.

Thanks for the responses.
Sulfite like campden tabs?
I had added campden and sorbate when I transferred to secondary and backsweetened about a year ago.

I don't think it's oxidized, but I've never tasted something oxidized before so I'm not sure.

Adding more should keep things from growing though, right?

Yes, campden tabs. It helps prevent oxidation and infections. I always add the recommended amount into my bottling bucket before bottling. Usually the same amount that I had already put in during the racking process.

If its got that "hot bite" taste (especially on the finish) then it's probably fusels produced during fermentation (for the reasons you noted) and will age out. May take a while. Bottling will speed this up.

That all makes sense and sounds right.
I'll get it in bottles tomorrow and hide them in the cellar, lol.

One last thing, I made a Peach/Mango mead using peach mango juice from Costco. It's almost two years old now. It is drinkable, but nothing great. Probably my least favorite melomel I have done. The flavor profile of the peach/mango is just not that good or they don't compliment each other very well. Now the mead I made from straight mango juice I also got from Costco is fantastic.

Thanks Pitman for all your help.

It was peach/mango from costco. We did a couple grape batches that turned around real quick, and my wife wanted peach mango. I knew it wouldn't be as quick turnaround, but here we are 2 years later. haha.

Do you make a lot of melomel/mead from costco products? I've got a couple 1 gallon batches I started that are 100% costco(well, honey and juice at least). Not expecting to win any awards, but if I could make something drinkable it would sure be economical!

Latest posts

Back