Mead Ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC0032

Reaction score
Hello all - Been a LONG time (~3 years) since I was active on the site. Had a spawn got in the way but I'm back to brewing this summer!

My mead question; the in-laws farm had bees this past summer and everyone was given a quart of honey. I wanted to make a mead from mine and serve it next Thanksgiving.

So...how much mead and how do you make it...from a quart of honey?

Figure about 3 lbs per gallon.
Thanksgiving being only 8 months away, you might want to look at one of the quicker mead recipes, Brays One Month Mead (BOMM) or J Achient Orange (JAOM) both are highly drinkable in just a couple of months and should be fabulous by Thanksgiving.

Thanks all; 1 gal sounds perfict! I'm not on a time table so I can skip this Thanksgiving.

Say it makes a gallon, that's 1 gallon of water + the honey, yeast, etc? What size vessel is needed? Does mead need head room?

What kind of yeast? Is there mead specific yeast?

The world is your oyster, RC0032. You have about 3 lbs of honey. If you dissolve that amount of honey to make 1 US gallon the starting gravity will be about 1.105. That's a potential ABV of close to 14%. That may take a while to finish but there seems to be a groundswell this year both in the commercial world and in the world of home wine making to make what are called quick or short meads - These are the equivalent of session beers - closer in alcohol content to ciders and beers (about 5 or 6% ABV ) which can be bottled (and consumed) far more quickly. One pound of honey dissolved to make one gallon of must will have an SG of 1.035 which has a potential to make 4.5%ABV (so 1.5 lbs has a potential ABV of about 7%).
The challenge is that a) all the flavor in a simple (traditional) mead is in the honey - as is all the alcohol, so the less honey you use the less flavor there is in the mead and b) some yeasts - notably so-called champagne yeasts strip all the flavor from the fermentation in ways that other yeasts (ale and wine yeasts) don't.
The other thing is that a low ABV mead might need some additional flavors - spices, fruit, herbs, nuts, chocolate and the like. OR it may be better served carbonated rather than still. Bottom line: this being March you can certainly have a gallon of your mead ready long before Thanksgiving (it will improve with longer aging, but it can be more than "drinkable" by November. One thing to remember, though, is, as Maylar suggested, that honey is nutrient deficient as far as yeast is concerned, and you will need to add Fermaid O or K to provide the yeast with necessary nutrients (and nitrogen) if you don't want the yeast to be producing all kinds of off flavors and fusels that will take months and months to dissipate.

First thank you all! Looks like Thanksgiving/ Christmas 2018 is the best option as I want the most out the honey flavor and really give back during the meal on the land to the honey taken from the land. Call me sentimental.

The world is your oyster, RC0032. You have about 3 lbs of honey. If you dissolve that amount of honey to make 1 US gallon the starting gravity will be about 1.105. That's a potential ABV of close to 14%. That may take a while to finish but there seems to be a groundswell this year both in the commercial world and in the world of home wine making to make what are called quick or short meads - These are the equivalent of session beers - closer in alcohol content to ciders and beers (about 5 or 6% ABV ) which can be bottled (and consumed) far more quickly. One pound of honey dissolved to make one gallon of must will have an SG of 1.035 which has a potential to make 4.5%ABV (so 1.5 lbs has a potential ABV of about 7%).
The challenge is that a) all the flavor in a simple (traditional) mead is in the honey - as is all the alcohol, so the less honey you use the less flavor there is in the mead and b) some yeasts - notably so-called champagne yeasts strip all the flavor from the fermentation in ways that other yeasts (ale and wine yeasts) don't.
The other thing is that a low ABV mead might need some additional flavors - spices, fruit, herbs, nuts, chocolate and the like. OR it may be better served carbonated rather than still. Bottom line: this being March you can certainly have a gallon of your mead ready long before Thanksgiving (it will improve with longer aging, but it can be more than "drinkable" by November. One thing to remember, though, is, as Maylar suggested, that honey is nutrient deficient as far as yeast is concerned, and you will need to add Fermaid O or K to provide the yeast with necessary nutrients (and nitrogen) if you don't want the yeast to be producing all kinds of off flavors and fusels that will take months and months to dissipate.

What is a good nutral yeast then to let the honey flavor shine?

Check out the basic brewing podcast "mead best practices".
The recommended yeast is Lalvin D-47, one packet per gallon. The meadmaker on the podcast says the high pitch rate is a key part of making a fast turnaround mead.
Also recommended is Wyeast's proprietary yeast nutrient, sulfiting the must,
like you would with wine, and not heating the water/honey mixture above 105F.
My mead experiments (several years ago) all tasted like rocket fuel, but I'm ready to give it another try using the above ideas.

Here's the podcast:

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/2/8/2/282...89064993&hwt=f4917cc39b46dbbd053c272c99a1daa1

There's a link to various recipes; one item of interest is that the suggested fermentation temperature is 82F.

A discussion/explanation of the relatively high fermentation temperature is in the Feb. 2017 blog:

http://www.groennfell.com/blog/why-so-hot#comments

I also recommend the BOMM. Wyeast 1388 is the cornerstone of this recipe.
I think though Bray's step feeding and degassing schedule applied to any number of yeasts can greatly improve the fermentation of your mead.

Back