Mead questions need answers quick!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard1989

Reaction score
So I'm going to start a 3 gallon batch of mead, I've done a one gallon and used a half a packet of yeast working great.

My main concern and question is how many packets of yeast do I use for a three gallon batch of mead, simple way all I'm using is 9lbs of honey, yeast, yeast energizer, nutrients, and water. Please someone help!

Generally, packets of dry yeast are sufficient for 5-6 gallons of must, so a half or so would be fine, but you could use the entire thing and not have a notable issue either.

2 packets per 3 gals is fine, that's what I use. I use 2 packets per 5 gal too. 1 packet for 1 or 2 gals.

But more important than packet amount is to hydrate your dry yeast. This is what I use, directions right from the company that makes GoFerm:

Rehydration for 5 gm of dry yeast:
6.25 gms of GoFerm
Added GoFerm to 4 oz of 110 degree water from tap
Cooled to 104 and added yeast.
Must temp was 85
Added about 4oz of must at 20min
Pitched yeast at 25min

Scale up for 2 packets (10 gms).

I try to get within 10 deg F difference between must and re-hydration soln so as not to shock the yeast. I add the must at 20 min to help acclimate. Try to pitch before 30 min since the nutrients in the GoFerm will be used up. Adding the must can help extend that time.

Re-hydration reduces lag time and strengthens your yeast's performance by providing micronutrients necessary for growth (http://www.scottlab.com/product-102.aspx ).

There's a thread regarding yeast pitch rates and cell counts here somewhere, but for the life of me, I can't recall where. A few guys were discussing cell counts and whether using half an 11gram packet of dry yeast would be sufficient or it would be underpitching.
After all was said and done a few numbers were crunched and it would seem using half a packet would supply enough usable yeast cells for up to 5 gallons of wort or must.

I usually re-hydrate my dry yeast in a mix of wort/must to make a starter so I can judge whether the yeast is active at room temps for pitching. For what it's worth, I've never had any real lag time in getting fermentations started so far.

Back