Mead is fermenting in secondary after resting for 3 months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger66

Reaction score
Hello, A few months ago i made a basic spiced mead. Fermentation stopped months ago and it’s been aging off the lees in a carboy since then. Recently it’s started bubbling and I noticed a small amount of scum on top. It smells fine. Is my mead in trouble?
027AC381-80C1-4A91-A61B-A371401B639C.jpeg
CB59DCA9-ACA4-411F-92A3-8D246D3736D3.jpeg

I agree it looks like possible fermentation. This could mean that a wild culture is active. However that wouldn't mean it's "in trouble".

There's definitely too much headspace.

Welcome to HBT!

That much headspace, and the subsequent oxygen access may have allowed a contaminant to take off. To me it looks like you are starting a pellicle.

Has your ambient temp changed? If it heats up, and there is still fermentable sugar present, the yeast can wake up. It has happened to me before. Also, I have noticed with mead, the scum sometimes but it is possibly residual beeswax. I would be worried seeing that in a wine but not so much a mead, unless it is very low ABV.

What other information can you give us?

Thanks for the responses. The ambient temp definitely went up right around the time it started fermentation again. No change ( no growth) to the scum on top. No off flavors. Anything else you would do here? Fill the head space and continue aging is the plan for now

Latest posts

Back