mead in a gallon jug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumeja

Reaction score
i have had my mead in a gallon jug now for about 2 months. i have racked it once to help with the clearing. i have to bottle some wine in the next week or so . i thought it mud=st be time to bottle the mead and then let it age in a bottle for the rest of the time.
would another 6 months be good??

Minimum aging time for mead to really mellow it out and bring out subtle flavours etc is 4-6 months, but most everyone will recommend a year. The level of effect of aging mead after a year is somewhat debated, but it will surely get better, though perhaps more slowly than that first year.

you can bottle age it.
just bottle it and try not to drink it for 12 months ;)
one catch is how clear it is. i had a few that had sediment drop after a month in the bottles. so now i try to age in carboy for as long as possible to make sure its cleared.

When you bottle age it, even if it looked clear, it can sometimes still drop more sediment. Especially if its go some pigmentation (think reds/fruit meads).

Plus it looks better if there's no sediment (think of wines commercially produced/marketed).

Bulk aged meads also show less differences and greater consistency as there's less likely to be variations from temperature that sometimes appear with bottle aged meads.

Either way, its up too you......

Back