Mead fermentation light exposure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuel84

Reaction score
Im making a mead, does it need to be fermented in a dark area; will light affect it? If so does this apply to other wines as well?

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I don't really know but I'm under the impression that exposure to light, especially direct sunlight, is bad for it and can "skunk" it.

I try to keep mine in the dark in a cupboard but they don't all fit in there so I cover the rest in tea towels secured with rubber bands to try and block out the light.

I don't think it matters so much for fermentation, but is highly important during storage and aging.

Much more of a concern with beer, as noted above. I keep mine in the basement where it's exposed to slight ambient light in a.m. hours (no direct sunlight, window is to the side about 15 ft away with a drawn curtain) and is fairly dark the rest of the day/night....brief exposure should cause no problems, but I'd ferment/store it in as dark place as possibe if for no other reason than "just because" :) I know of no science behind it

Back